Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live translate is not functional.

(Topic created on: 10-02-2024 09:56 AM)
Reylob
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Live translate, it is absolute rubbish as a translator, great for a laugh.

It has a very limited selection of languages. I tried it between Spanish and English.

The voice keeps talking nonsense that has not been said in the conversation. The funny thing is that it does not stop. It keeps talking even when one is not talking at all. It is very amusing, but totally useless as it is at the moment.

Has anyone tried it already? If yes, what do you think? Did it work?

Technology enthusiast, but not related to any technological company.
16 REPLIES 16
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Yes I tried it with a few Korean, German and one Hindi, worked very well only time when it struggled was in a very noisy room and sat a few meters away.
REGARDS, OBSYDIAN - Car & Tech Evangelist / 2 decades of Samsung Ownership
DAILY: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Buds Pro2, 20,000 Power bank, Smart Tags
OFFICE: Book2 Pro i7 [Laptop], M70A 32” [Monitor], Samsung Level [Speaker]
GAMING: M70A 43” [Monitor], Book2 Pro i5, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptops]
FAMILY: ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S7 Plus, Buds Pro2
SPARE: Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], ZFlip3
AV: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears],
KITCHEN: MC32K7055 [Microwave], S65DG54M3B1 [Fridge] Jet 75 (Vacuum)
NON-SAMSUNG: iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2, Phone 12
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I think you need Interpreter, it can be accessed pulling down the screen to get to Quck access icons.
REGARDS, OBSYDIAN - Car & Tech Evangelist / 2 decades of Samsung Ownership
DAILY: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Buds Pro2, 20,000 Power bank, Smart Tags
OFFICE: Book2 Pro i7 [Laptop], M70A 32” [Monitor], Samsung Level [Speaker]
GAMING: M70A 43” [Monitor], Book2 Pro i5, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptops]
FAMILY: ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S7 Plus, Buds Pro2
SPARE: Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], ZFlip3
AV: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears],
KITCHEN: MC32K7055 [Microwave], S65DG54M3B1 [Fridge] Jet 75 (Vacuum)
NON-SAMSUNG: iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2, Phone 12
Reylob
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

The interpreter is a different function, related but different. Live translate is when one is on phone call with a person speaking a different language.

When using the phone app and on a call, there is an AI feature call assist, and live translate is an option. In theory, I would speak English and the other person will hear the translation, then the other person will reply in their own language and I will hear the English translation. There is the option to listen to each other as well as the translation or just listening to the translation only.

In the few tests I did, the translation of what was said was not bad, but the AI voice kept on talking to the point that one gets an uncontrollable laugh. For instance, I would say "Where do you want to go" and it translated that, but will keep saying things about my mother wanted to go to Marseille, and would not stop talking senseless sentences. It was a very funny experience, but definitely would not trust it to buy a house in Spain.

rb435
Apprentice
Options

I'm having the same problems. It's just not functional and makes up gibberish even when no one is talking. I'm surprised more hasn't been made of this issue as it was one of the main AI features Samsung used to promote the S24 series.

Reylob
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

I did another test where there was no chance that the AI was generating the speech due to feedback, but it was the same. The AI voice keeps creating a stories without head or tail.

Members_lmGFzsn
Student
Options

Yes voice keeps talking nonsense and  also dirty words e.g. the f word. My italian friend was not glad at it.

This is a major bug.

SteveJammy
First Poster
Options

Something badly wrong with live translate - I get random words seemingly generated by the phone, not related to the conversation at all, which continues until I turn off the phone. Happens on every call. 

Reylob
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Hi @SteveJammy 

I know exactly what you mean. Curiously, it did not work too badly when I called a landline, but whenever I try with our 2 S24 Ultra, we get al sort of gibberish. The AI voice keeps telling a story which is not being said and it does not have head or tail.

Check this thread, I also posted something about live translate.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s24-series/video-on-on-using-ai-on-your-s24-series/m-p/95...

0 Likes
Unikush
First Poster
Options

I have the s23 Ultra. Almost bought the S24 but glad I didn't. The translation complete trash. Experiencing everything you mentioned...

0 Likes