Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is smart switch ok to use when upgrading from an old Samsung device to s24+?

(Topic created on: 4 weeks ago)
MarkBatch
Pioneer
Options
Hi I have read a few reports that if upgrading from an old Samsung device not to use Smart Switch is this true? I have a Samsung S10+ and today am moving onto a S24+ but not sure best way to transfer over all my apps and contacts etc?
0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
Tourbillon De La Vie
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

I've also read those reports and yet have used smart switch whenever I was moving phones. Had no issues. Beware that some apps that you have on the old phones which are only 32bit compatible will not transfer to your new 64bit device. 

MarkBatch
Pioneer
Options
Thank you that's reassuring to know. Am sure some people just use it as an excuse for high battery drain etc
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Hi.

I am personally against smart switch.

If you do want to do it here are a few things you might find helpful.

Do back up everything in either cloud or smart switch ( I prefer the cloud like Google one)

Set up your new phone from scratch and don't recover apps and settings. Rest you can recover like your messages, photos etc.

The reason I do this is apps and settings sometimes might have incompatibilities which could affect your phone in weird ways.

I install apps as and when I need them as then I have the latest fresh apps from the store.

Hope this helps.
0 Likes
MarkBatch
Pioneer
Options
This is really helpful too. So if I use smart switch just for contacts and email account then for apps etc just to upload from the cloud like Google play and Samsung account? Sorry I am not very techie. I guess as long as I transfer over the sim card from old phone as the last thing I do I can't really go wrong as can take my time setting it up whilst using my old phone still?
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I pay for Google One 100gb it's quiet cheap.

I never save my contacts on SIM card.
Save them under my Google account.
All my messages , contacts, photos etc are saved on Google.
So regardless of how many new phones I change or factory resets I do. The minute I sign into Google on my new phone all my stuff is back.

I generally do back up everything including apps and settings along with the other stuff from top.

But I only restore my contacts, message, photos etc and not the apps or settings.

I set up phone as new. Get all the stuff back once I sign into my Google account and then other apps I will install as and when I need them starting with my banking apps.

This also helps declutter apps which I may hardly use .

If you do not want to go the cloud way.

You should be able to do similar with smart switch.

Maybe someone will help you with that as I don't really use smart switch. ( Over the years with Samsung I found most people who did a smart switch transfer had issues with their phones, obviously some never had any issues).

But for me the cloud way has served served me well with no hassle or issues.
MarkBatch
Pioneer
Options
Thank you so much, pretty much all my stuff is backed up on Google too so I guess a very similar situation for me, cloud seems best route to go.
keith30
Maestro
Options
It shouldn't do any harm to use Smart Switch so don't take to much notice to what you've been reading and the reports on not to use it, it's a lot quicker to use than to upload data manually
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I prefer to use Samsung SmartSwitch to move my photo's over. 

The rest I use Samsung Cloud @MarkBatch 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

MarkBatch
Pioneer
Options
Thank you everyone for your help I now am the proud owner of the s24+ I just restored everything from the cloud and got on fine. I used smart switch to transfer photos over but that was it. So pleased with the phone so far. Thanks again everyone.
0 Likes