Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gallery draining battery

(Topic created on: 2 weeks ago)
TonySp8
Journeyman
Options
For The past week or so, my battery has been draining very quickly. Today drained about 70% in 4 hours.
The top app usage was Gallery Stories. I did have this issue when I first got my phone and disabled the app. The app is currently disabled but still consuming battery.
I had a look in gallery sync today and accidently hit "sync stories". Now when I try to turn this off it crashes and now OneDrive sync doesn't work.
Another thing, my phone has been plugged in on charge for about 2.5hrs and gone from 18% - 64%. The charger is my laptop so not a slow one. It feels quite warm too. 

I have read about uninstalling updates from gallery but can't see the option to do this.
0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Today I am on a spree of telling people to reset their settings for issues.

You could also check app permissions either allowing all or not.

Also check for errors in accounts sync under settings > manage accounts
TonySp8
Journeyman
Options
How do I reset my settings?
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Charging from a laptop is no guarantee of a fast charge, if anything it's likely to be one of the slowest ways to charge your phone. If charging speed is a concern, I'd highly recommend getting a desktop portable PD 2.0+ charger at 25W output minimum. Samsung would advise you use their own, but most 3rd party brands will do the job just fine.
0 Likes
TonySp8
Journeyman
Options
It may not be the quickest. But to go up 50%ish in over 2hrs isn't right. I do also have a super fast charger, even this doesn't charge up quickly. It's like for each 1% my battery is being charged, 0.4% battery is being used up.
Something weird is going on with my phone usage.
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
That sounds like something is definitely wrong. Even my slowest charger I use on my phone takes under 2 hours for a full charge, with my typical being just under an hour. If your phone is consuming a lot of power, even whilst charging, then you have some miner client in the background or something.
0 Likes
TonySp8
Journeyman
Options
My phone is showing Gallery Stories as the highest consumer. But this is disabled which is confusing
0 Likes
TonySp8
Journeyman
Options
For anyone else experiencing a similar issue. This may help. Response from Samsung.

The CMHProvider app handles image analysis for Stories. Clearing its data may help reduce battery drain. Go to the Settings app on your Galaxy S24 Ultra > Tap on "Applications" > Tap on the filter and sort button at the end of the app list, then enable "Show system apps" > Use the search function to find "CMHProvider" > Tap on "Storage" > Tap on "Clear Data" > Confirm by selecting "Delete".
Note: Clearing the data of the CMHProvider app will not affect the images stored on your device. However, it will reset and delete the Gallery Stories, which will be re-analysed and recommended based on the new analysis.
0 Likes