Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi 6 issues on s23 fe

(Topic created on: 04-02-2024 10:08 PM)
Wayne09
Apprentice
Options

I recently got a Galaxy s23 FE in December 2023 and it worked well for about 2-3 weeks but now I've been getting the same issues I've seen s23 Ultra owners have. Wifi connection will say connected without internet then disconnect, reconnects to the network, then continue looping (connecting and disconnecting) until I restart my phone or the router, then it will work for either a few minutes or hours... 

I've tried multiple steps people suggest but the issue persist. It's intermittent and happens randomly. I have an Asus RT-AX55 router that has been updated to the latest firmware with a RT-AC58U v3 serving as an access point using asus mesh. I have disabled wifi 6 in their router but the issues persist with wifi 6 enabled or disabled. 

My phone only looses connection while connected to the RT-AX55 router but stays connected without any issue when connected to the RT-AC58U v3. From my troubleshooting it's only this phone on my network that looses connection (old note 20 5g, and A54 works perfectly fine as well) and it's definitely something with my phones connection to the router since I can't even access the router from the s23 fe when I am "connected without internet". 

I'm starting to regret getting his model... Is there anything other then rebooting, reseting, enabling wifi safe mode, using static IP, phone MAC address, forgetting the network, etc can try or is there any news on when this issue might be fixed? I'm sceptical of sending my phone in for repair or resetting it if the issue will persist with my router even after it has been "fixed", replaced or reset.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Wayne09
Apprentice
Options

Eventually looked on my router and found out that I could set the control channel for 5ghz and changed it from auto to 140 and now it seems to work without issue. Hope this does get fixed at some point. 

View solution in context

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15
Jimo2020
Navigator
Options

Hey!

Yes, I've had this issue since day one with my S23 Ultra on an Eero Pro 6 mesh wifi with 2 nodes.  Its the only device that does this on the network.  For me, the issue appears to be whenever the phone connects to the higher 5ghz channels, especially channel 104. (I've checked other devices and they are fine with the higher channers, including 104).

Samsung seemed to fix the issue with the October 2023 update and then broke it again with the November 2023 update, and its not been working ever since.  I've submitted a number of support requests of which I just get a reply "We're investigating".   I suspect its a hardware issue with the wifi chip, some are likely borked. A software update telling the phone to avoid channel 104, IMO, would resolve the issue for me. I'm yet to find any 3rd party software that will do this for me.

TBH, its really annoyed me as I'm having to resort to mobile data when at home.  Coupled with the Galaxy Watch 4 bricking software update that bricked devices a year or so ago that I was affected by and the Samsung Frame TV 32inch software being the slowest rubbish I've ever known, its goodbye Samsung when my contract comes to an end. 

Wayne09
Apprentice
Options

Thank you for the reply @Jimo2020. Sorry for the delay in my reply.
I recently upgraded to this phone with my new contract with less data because I'm regulary home connected to our wifi, so it is extremely frustrating. What would you suggest? Would you say that it would be better to send it in for repairs and see if the chip can be replaced? Or hope that they eventually will release an update to fix it? I won't be able to move away from this phone since my contract is like 2 months old now...

0 Likes
Solution
Wayne09
Apprentice
Options

Eventually looked on my router and found out that I could set the control channel for 5ghz and changed it from auto to 140 and now it seems to work without issue. Hope this does get fixed at some point. 

0 Likes
ToneEQ
First Poster
Options
Crazy that this is still an issue on February 2024. My S23 FE was fine for first 2 weeks of ownership then all of sudden random disconnects started happening, must have been shortly after a software update. The 140 control channel trick works for me.
RadioSteveC
First Poster
Options
Having exactly the same issues noted here with my S23 FE. Very very frustrating. Its the only device I have that has constant connectivity problems with WiFi.
0 Likes
Members_pUy6i1r
First Poster
Options

I just got the s23 Fe and having the same problems.  tried setting from auto to 140 but made no difference.  I switched off the 5gz on the router as the phone was the only device running on it. it seems to work fine and faster on the 2.4ghz wifi. so will leave the 5ghz off until they sort the problem 

0 Likes
Members_pUy6i1r
First Poster
Options

Still having trouble on 2.4 ghz

0 Likes
SamuraiTortoise
Apprentice
Options
I had to turn off 5ghz on my Sky router to get stable WiFi on my S23FE but I've just installed a Samsung update today and so far, so good. Maybe this recent update contained a fix...only time will tell.
0 Likes
SamuraiTortoise
Apprentice
Options
Scratch that, today's update has not resolved my issue. Started seeing slower WiFi speeds despite other devices showing usual speeds. Switch off 5ghz and now my S23fe is back up to speed. For God's sake Samsung. Sort this out!!!!!
0 Likes