Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security settings causing bank to de-register my banking app on my phone

(Topic created on: 15-02-2023 04:28 PM)
Microft
Explorer
Options

Hey everyone,

I upgraded my older Samsung to the new 1tb Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra. I used Smart Switch to copy all of my apps and data across to the S23.

I set up my banking app (Halifax in the UK) and all seemed well. But after about 30 mins, if I reopen my banking app on my phone, I get a message that the app has been de-registered (by my bank) for security reasons. I can re-register the app, but again after a few minutes, it gets de-registered again.

I called my bank and they deregistered both devices, asked me to uninstall the app, reinstall it and register again. Then the support person noticed that the reason my phone keeps getting de-registered is due to a security setting or policy on my phone thats preventing my phone from working properly with my bank.

I use Adguard, and this never caused an issue with my older Samsung Galaxy (I had no issues at all) and the only other thing I can think of is that it could have been Device Care as this scns only when charging or when the screen is off. With Adguard and Device Protection disabled, I rebooted my phone, removed the banking app and reinstalled and re-registered it. But again, after 20-30 mins, the banking app was de-registered again. The only other problem I can think of is that when I used Smart Switch, something from my old phone, like a security certificate or some other setting/remnent was also transferred and is confusing my phone or the app.

I really rely on my banking app multiple times a day, and I'd like to find what else would be causing it. As a last resort, I'll do a facroty reset, which I shouldn't have to do with a new device.

So if anyone has had the same problem and resolved it, or has any other ideas what could be causing the issue or a setting I can desable, please let me know. I have seen a few other posts on here with different Samsung devices stating a December update broke something and still hasn't been fixed. I don't know though, as I didn't have an issue with my last phone, which I had for 2 years, without any problems. The latest security patch I have is 1st January and there are no updates when I check.

Thanks

Mike.

19 REPLIES 19
Microft
Explorer
Options

It's also Android 13.

0 Likes
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
With my HSBC bank app
I had to remove older registered devices from the account.

You could always try clearing the partition cashe on the phone. Could be some old settings transferred over that are causing the problems
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Wiping cache partition fixes some of the bugs and improve performance by removing unwanted cache files.

Turn off your phone.

Connect your phone with a USB cable
to PC or another Samsung mobile

You will see the charging icon on your screen.
Wait till it shows charging with battery percentage.

Next, press and hold the Volume up and Side key simultaneously.
You can press the volume up button just before the Side key.
The Samsung Logo followed by
Samsung Galaxy appears on the
screen.

At this point, release the keys
Phone will boot into Android Recovery mode

In Android recovery mode, using Volume keys, choose "Wipe Cache
Partition" .

Then press Side Key to Confirm by selecting "Yes" and then press Side Key

You get "cache wipe complete" at the
bottom of the screen
Restart the phone to complete the
process
Microft
Explorer
Options

Thanks for the suggestions. I wiped the cache, rebooted, uninstalled, and reinstalled the banking app, but unfortunately it didn't resolve the issue.

Thanks though.

0 Likes
Bigtasty65
Hotshot
Options
I never have a problem with the NatWest banking app when setting up a new phone. As they don't register a device as such. Only the phone number registered and your logging in details are required with them.
I don't think Smart Switch should ever be used as it's the perfect ingredient for the possible corruption of files during the transfer process. Always start off with a clean phone.
A factory reset will resolve the problem. Unfortunately of course, it might involve a lot of work in setting up your phone again.
0 Likes
Microft
Explorer
Options

Thanks for the post. I know that the Halifax banking app is very secure, and maybe a bit too secure as I've known older people struggle with it and get locked out and have to contact the bank.

I don't know if it's on the authentication side, as it does let me into the app, then after a while, it gets de-registered. So there's something on the phone or a remnant of my old phone that's causing a problem.

A factory reset is probably the way to go. I do have many apps and yeah, we all know it's a pain to set up the phone again, but sometimes it is worth it. There is another issue too where Phone Link doesn't talk to my PC and doesn't copy the clipboard contents, so It must be related.

However, there are many posts spread out on the forums here with people with the same issue with the Halifax, TSB, RBS, and Lloyds banking app (as they're all the same Royal Bank of Scotland companies) so I know I'm not alone with the issue, but it's annoying, even though I am thankful for the Apps security.

I agree about smart switch. I think it's bad to use it and is probably the main cause.

I'll wait a little while to see if anyone else has a fix or another solution to try, then I'll just do a factory reset.

Thanks again though, it's appreciated.

StuartR
Troubleshooter
Options
I have no issues using halifax/Lloyd's apps on my S23 the only difference between your phone and mine is I don't use any 3rd party security apps and I never use Smart Switch.

Your issues are caused by smart switch as you suspect. I think it's inevitable your going to have to try a factory reset and I'd recommend not using smart switch.

With regards Halifax app you have to deregister your old phone before registering it on your new phone, Smart Switch can't do that.
0 Likes
MRashid
Pioneer
Options
The issue is not smart switch. I didn't use smart switch when I set up my z fold 4. SmartSwitch downloads the apps and all app data directly from Samsung Cloud which were meant for a different Samsung device and might not work with the newer model. But this issue is caused by the app developers of the bank as I am getting the same issue in non Samsung phones as well like OnePlus and Pixel 7 itself.
0 Likes
McCoy44
Apprentice
Options
Hi Mike, I have exactly the same problem as you with my new S23+ and the BOS app. Bank says its security issues with S23+. Samsung have checked out my phone and it's OK and they say its compatibility problems with BOS app. I also used Smart Switch. No problems with previous S21, S10, S8. Very reluctant to factory reset but may have no other choice.

0 Likes