Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S23 ULTRA WIFI 6 ISSUES PERSIST AFTER APRIL UPDATE

(Topic created on: 06-04-2023 08:28 AM)
sebseb88
Explorer
Options
So I thought April's update would bring a fix for the dreaded WiFi 6 issue but it has done nothing ! 
Issue is weird as it keeps on coming and going as in it'll all be fine for a day or 2 and then happens again and is so frustrating ! What used to work for me before the April update was toggle WiFi on and off on the phone and it would be ok but for a while but now it won't help, the only odd thing that does temporarily work is when I have the issue of WiFi not loading anything up / stalling is to long press the WiFi icon in notification panel then WiFi straight away shows connected again and then switch back to what I was doing. Definitely a bug from the S23 Ultra side ! 
Never had a problem with my old S22 ultra / Fold 4 / Flip 4 / iPhone 14 Pro max, only happens with this phone !
I have a pair of mesh eero pro 6 routers which I never had an issue with and all devices I have connected to it always worked (both WiFi 5 and 6) just this phone.
Spoke to Samsung on twitter just before march update and they said they were aware of the issue and we're working on a fix but then came march update, nothing... Then came April update, nothing. When I spoke to them again on twitter they were like, sorry to hear we haven't heard about any issues regarding WiFi on S23 Ultra 🤦 so back to square one I guess !
Absolutely love the phone but this issue is a main one for me, I mean it's 2023 who doesn't need reliable WiFi nowadays !
77 REPLIES 77
Broughton 1800
Apprentice
Options
Don't hold your breath... I still have the issue on a S21 Ultra.....not bothering with a S23 for that reason alone, had hoped April's update would be a final fix but time to think of another supplier......
chameo
Apprentice
Options

Interesting, I have the exact same router. Setting it to 80MHz worked for me as well. Must be some bug with 160MHz. Hopefully Samsung is reading this and fixes it. This should narrow down for them what to look for.

paufe7
First Poster
Options
Same issue here on s22 ultra, since last upgrade. Never had this before till thid april23 upgrade. I connect to WiFi 6e, after a bit buffers and no Internet, then off/on wifi it's OK, but minutes later back to same buffer/no internet.
Ken98045-3
Apprentice
Options

I can verify that switching your router to 80MHz band width will fix the problem.  However, it is very, very annoying that Samsung can't or won't fix the problem.  I reported this issue back 1 week before the general release (Costco had them early) of the S23.  Still nothing.

I am beginning to think that there may be a hardware problem that they can't fix.  That seems unlikely.  I'm starting to think that maybe a class action lawsuit may be in order.

sebseb88
Explorer
Options
Unfortunately with my router (eero pro 6) bands cannot be selected as the router decides what's "best" ! So basically I'm stuck with this issue !!! I have sent many reports to Samsung and everytime they get back to me telling me they can't see an issue !
0 Likes
Ken98045-3
Apprentice
Options

You would think that this would be the #1 priority for the entire cell phone division.  The fact that it hasn't been fixed when they are clearly aware of the issue at some level has heighten my suspicion that it might be an actual hardware issue. 

I am a 30+ year software engineer.  IMO a bug like this should be super easy to replicate.  If it is easy to replicate it should be easy to fix unless (1) the bug reports have never made it to the engineers (2) they need to actively fight the hardware to work around the problem in the firmware.  If it were a straight firmware bug  I would think that they could have found a fix within a week.  Testing might take another 2 or 3 weeks.  Getting the fix staged for a firmware update might take another week depending the amount of BS they would need to go through.  I just can't imagine the whole process taking multiple months when the issue is so critical to so many customers.  Obviously, this is easy to say from the outside than work the problem from the inside, but still this is a serious, serious issue.  If necessary I'd be putting in 80 hour weeks on this one.

While I have seen reports on various sites that Samsung is aware of the problem and working on a fix, I have yet to see any actual official statement regarding the issue, but I may have missed that.  

It is super, super annoying that various levels of Samsung support  still isn't aware of the problem and give a work around (for the customers that can do so).  The only support people I've talked to that seem to be aware of the problem are the T-Mobile reps.

Since I purchased through Costco I can technically return my 23 Ultra for another 5 days or so.  The problem is that I'd need to replace it with another phone, and I obviously can't get my S21+ back from the trade-in (which I'd do in a heartbeat).  Maybe a Pixel 7 Pro?

S23ultra2
First Poster
Options

Same issue with 23 Ultra after yesterdays update. Eero mesh system router. Phone will connect with internet then disconnect after a minute and show without internet. Temporarily disabled 5hz on eero and works fine. Samsung needs to get this corrected. All my Amazon, computer, and other phone devices work fine with eero router. 

Hartsideman
Journeyman
Options
I just can't get a connection full stop .. it used to be absolutely fine on my home network .. but now it won't even connect ... every other item does and no issues even other phones .. so whatever they tried to fix has actually broken my connection ... s23 ultra flagship that is in fact not a flagship but a useless brick...
FiveForm5
First Poster
Options

I had the exact same issues as the s23 ultra on my s22 ultra which was purchased recently out of discount. In my case the April update resolved the Wi-Fi 6 issues on a Nokia router provided by my ISP.  I had to go through the same maneuvers in order to get it to reconnect but ultimately went with my 2.4 GHz connection instead of the 5 GHz temporarily. I received the latest April update about a week ago and I'm keeping an eye on the Wi-Fi icon and I haven't lost connection where in previously I was automatically switched to 5G which was raising my data use. I'm certainly hoping their next update will resolve the issue for s23 Ultra users. One additional note is that when I leave my home and come back I was connecting to 2.4 GHz but once I asked for the phone to forget that connection I have since always come back to the Wi-Fi 6 connection reliably.

Ken98045-3
Apprentice
Options

I agree that the problem seems to have gone away.  I'm not sure exactly when/why.

0 Likes