Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S23 Fingerprint and Face Recognition

(Topic created on: 29-04-2023 08:42 PM)
152bobby
Navigator
Options

I have had my S23 for about three weeks now and to be honest, I'm far from impressed with the Fingerprint scanner and the Facial Recognition. 

I have a Tab S7+ Tablet and the finger print scanner is 95+ good, the face Recognition is just rubbish. 

I have read loads of reviews etc as this technology is far from new to me.

The face Recognition is just totally rubbish and the finger print scanner is a hit and a miss most of the time.  So much so, I'm just going to go back to using the four digit pin code finger method.  This is meant to be a top of the range flagship phone !!

I am using the recommended screen protector and I have registered my main finger more than once etc and have different fingers registered and it's just still rubbish.  I had phones  years ago that where far more better than this.

Any advice please? 

10 REPLIES 10
jonathaneuk
Navigator
Options
Hi,

Okay have you removed the screen protector and tried again is it any better ?
I had a screen protector which had great reviews on Amazon for my S22 Ultra. But the fingerprint scanner was hit and miss. Once I removed screen protector it was 100 times better !
152bobby
Navigator
Options
I'll give that a try, but I have NEVER had a expensive mobile phone without a screen protector fitted. My research lead me to believe Spigen screen protectors were fully compatible. Can anyone out there recommend a "near" compatible screen protector?
0 Likes
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
I mainly use the fingerprint scanner. Works perfect most of the time, There are occasions when it doesn't scan properly and I have to use the pin instead. Problems I have found that can cause problems 1 screen protectors, a lot of people forget to re scan their fingerprint after fitting a screen protector. Also depending on what you do there can be a build up of grime at the point where you scan your fingerprint especially if you use hand creams etc so cleaning the fingerprint area with a clean dry cloth can help a lot. The weird thing is I rarely encounter an issue when logging into banking apps or corporate accounts but run into problems most often when unlocking the screen? Best thing I could suggest would be to give the screen a clean and re scan your fingerprint which might work. I have the Samsung film protector on mine and the Samsung smart view case. Hope this helps
jonathaneuk
Navigator
Options
I'm using a one off Amazon called Tauri, so far there working great for me.
152bobby
Navigator
Options

I'll also gives this a try. And yes, I did scan my fingerprints WITH the screen protector fitted. Interesting point you make about logging into banking apps, I totally agree with this.

I'm going to take off the screen protector, clean the screen AND my fingers and rescan them and see what the results are.  And then I'll clean the screen, apply a new screen protect, clean my fingers and register them again (registering one finger more than once).

I hope this works, because I'm totally not happy owning a expensive phone with no screen protector fitted.

0 Likes
IndiW
Hotshot
Options
This is one of the big things I lost coming from Apple..
Apple has the most advanced facial recognition System. Even the dead of the night.. It can recognise it's user.. Hat off to Apple
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@152bobby 

I use the Samsung Tpu Screen Protector on my phone. 

The fingerprint scanner works everytime. 

I've used the Whitestone Dome Glass Screen Protector too with the fingerprint scanner working around 90% of the time.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@152bobby: Where Face Recognition is concerned, Glasses, hats, masks, makeup, bangs, and beards can affect the recognition process. Adding an alternative look can help the device recognize you in different situations. You should also ensure that you are in a well lit area, so the camera is able to see you clearly. 

If you find that the Fingerprint sensor isn't as responsive as you'd expect with a screen protector attached, then please try heading to Settings > Display > Touch sensitivity, and toggle this option on. 

-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I have used the Tauri one and its great on previous s22U, I have the Samsung one on the S23U and again works great