Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S23+ Bluetooth not working for phone calls

(Topic created on: 28-03-2023 11:01 AM)
csdall
First Poster
Options

Hello all!

I am having issues with my new S23+ and receiving/making phone calls with a Bluetooth headset/headphones. The Bluetooth function works fine for everything else, including pairing with my headset/headphones to watch movies or listen to music, and pairing with my car to receive or make phone calls, listen to music, etc.

However, the Bluetooth functionality does not work with phone calls when paired with a headset/headphones.  For example, I have my headphones paired and am listening to music. I receive a phone call, or go to make a phone call, and the Bluetooth automatically switches off. If I hang up/end my call, the Bluetooth then turns on, and automatically picks up the music I was listening to/movie I was watching. 

This occurs regardless of the type of headphones/headset I am wearing (Beats Powerbeats Pro Wireless Earphones, Sprout Harmonic 3.0 Bluetooth Headphones, etc.).

I have reset/restarted my phone multiple times, unpaired and repaired my devices, nothing is working. Please help!

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
Alfsdad
Voyager
Options
In the Bluetooth connection is the Audio toggle on or off. If its off it won't pick up called. See screenshot Screenshot_20230328_125325_Settings_1000001594_1680004405.jpg
0 Likes
Alfsdad
Voyager
Options
It needs the Calls toggle switched on. As well as audio.
Bumper69er
First Poster
Options
Had a similar issue was an internal fault now on my second handset
Hector4Christ
First Poster
Options

Have you found an answer to the problem? I have the same issue with my S23.

Do you have a Galaxy watch? I was able to get my Bluetooth headset to work by disconnecting my Galaxy watch from Bluetooth and then restarting the phone. How long this fix will last, I don't know.

0 Likes
GChico
First Poster
Options

Same problem. S23+ Bluetooth connection setting to my laptop shows:
"Connected" with
   "Calls"  toggle grayed out
   "Audio" toggle grayed out
   " Message access" toggled on (and working)
I can toggle on the Calls and Audio.  They each turn light blue for maybe 30 seconds, then turn themselves off and back to gray

For what its worth, the Laptop claims the phone is Connected (which it partly is).  Also I do have a Galaxy Watch 5, but turning the Bluetooth off on it seems to have no effect.

0 Likes
JCKIRA
Student
Options

Hooo ly hell. This frustrated me so much I made an account just in hope that this might help someone in a similar situation.

I had the same issue with my father's S23. It would connect to bluetooth on his car (toyota sienna) and music could be played but not calls. In the bluetooth settings, there was no "calls" toggle for the device. After much trial and error and trying everything on the forums, I figured out a solution right for me. The car had an option to connect a phone or media device. While in most cases when you connect a phone it will connect as both, it wasn't working that way for the S23. It would either connect as calls only, or media only. Eventually what I figured out was I had to have it connected individually as a phone then as a media player. Only after I had done the connections separately, the "calls" toggle appeared in my bluetooth settings for the device. It defaulted as off so I switched it on and now both work.

Really hopes this helps someone in a similar situation! Really disappointed in Samsung as I've been a lifelong user...

Derek75
Student
Options

Same issue with S23 and Tacoma. Your solution worked. Saved me time.

Yes, connect as phone before media, then toggle media. SMH........

0 Likes