Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic - cardless cash withdrawal (using phone)

(Topic created on: 06-10-2023 11:42 AM)
davehorne
Troubleshooter
Options

Living in the Netherlands, I'm accustomed to all transactions being electronic; it's rare when I have to use cash, but I had to pay someone yesterday and cash was the preferred method.

I made a trip to my local supermarket to do some shopping and use their ATM, killing two birds with one stone as it were. My local supermarket (Albert Heijn) has an ATM but I had forgotten to bring my debit card.

As I was paying for my groceries (using my phone), I asked the cashier if I could receive cash and charge that to my bank account. It seems this supermarket stopped doing that but the cashier said I could use my phone at the ATM.

It seems my bank (ING) implemented cardless cash withdrawal back in July of this year but somehow that information got by me. Now I know that I can use my phone at an ATM.

My question, is this common knowledge?

Watch4 Classic
Galaxy S24 Ultra / 512 GB / Microsoft Launcher / Spigen Thin Fit case
7 REPLIES 7
Tourbillon De La Vie
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Never used it but some banks here in UK have it implemented too. Not sure how much of common knowledge that information is

keith30
Maestro
Options
My Nat West Bank allows cardless cash withdrawal at certain ATM's but I'm not sure how many other banks allow that.like most readers on here they isn't much information given out. Iv'e never used that method yet.
Neo001
Legend
Options

I have used it a couple of times. It's a nice alternative, in case one forgets to bring the debit card along.

0 Likes
Josh50052
Pathfinder
Options
wait this is a thing? i use nationwide, never knew this. its always been chip and pin for withdrawals. even if you wanted to get cashback you couldn't tap. I guess pin is just 2fa and having your biometrics unlock the trusted device is also a 2fa . then again who uses cash anymore? I withdraw cash for the tooth fairy. Otherwise i actually avoid the local chippy solely because its cash only and I'm not doing a 30 minute walk round trip to a cash machine for a takeaway. when a dozen places on the way take card.
0 Likes
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

I tried it at Barclays, did not work told not accepted.

Regards Obsydian - (Car & Tech Evangelist)

MY DEVICES: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], Buds Pro2, M70A 32 & 43”; [Monitor], Smart Tags, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptop] / FAMILY DEVICES: ZFlip3, ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, S8 Ultra; S7+ [Tablet],  Buds Pro, iPhone 12, iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2 [Tablets] / HOME DEVICES: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears], MC28M6075 and MC32K7055 [Microwave], Jet 75 Complete (Vacuum), Samsung Level [Speaker]
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Interesting, have not used personally and seems to be the bigger banks that offer it.  Believe it or not  some people do use cash (even if just occasionally)  , some information here https://suitsmecard.com/blog/left-your-debit-card-at-home-heres-how-you-can-get-cash- 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
LinziS967
Apprentice
Options
I
0 Likes