Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone - Can someone guide me through, when to remove sim and how to transfer all apps etc?

(Topic created on: 13-06-2023 11:49 AM)
Members_6ONcNQg
First Poster
Options

Hi. I have the Samsung S21 ultra and have recently purchased the S23 ultra. Can someone guide me through, when to remove sim and how to transfer all apps etc?

7 REPLIES 7
nowdeleted
Big Cheese
Options
You can transfer all info if you have smart switch installed on both phones. Just follow the instructions
I did my transfer over WiFi.
Fiona26
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
First thing to do is turn of chat features from old device before removing your sim. Put your sim into new device before powering your new device on. Set up the phone and update all apps from store's. Check for software update. You can use cloud backup or use smartswitch to transfer everything over from your old device to your new one. Just download smartswitch to both devices. I recommend downloading apps from the playstore and galaxy store and not copying apps over. What's app needs to be backed up in the what's app settings. Then just copy over data from old to new that you want.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s23-series/tips-amp-tricks-for-setting-up-s23-series-phon...
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Members_6ONcNQg 

There are a few ways to achieve this.

Personally I back up to Samsung Cloud in the original phone and then when setting up the new phone you can use that back up to put your apps and information onto the new phone. 

If I can be of any further help then please don't hesitate. Take care.  😎 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

A matter  of personal preference but whilst transferring  via Smart Switch has been fine for many some Members have reported issues, backing up and restoring via Samsung Cloud is worth  considering.  In any case as has been mentioned  Whatsapp needs to backed up in the Apps own settings, will not work via Smart Switch as the messages  are encrypted and you may  well have some important ones which are needed. Some useful  advice a few of us posted in the link @Fiona26   shared.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

davehorne
Troubleshooter
Options

I buy a new phone every year and have gotten pretty good with transferring information between phones.  I recently sold my S22 Ultra to a friend and passed on the following tips to him (since he was a tad leary) ...

Have your log on information for your Google Account, your Samsung account, and MicroSoft account on hand.

On your old phone - Backup WhatsApp (three dots, Settings, Chats, backup). There always seems to be problems transferring this app. 

Be sure your Google Backup is current, go into Settings / Accounts and Backups before you use Smart Switch.

Install Smart Switch if it's not already installed.

Move SIM to new phone.

Start the transfer (Smart Switch), make sure both phones are well charged and that there's a good WiFi connection.  You could also use a cable but my experience with my WiFi is excellent. 

It might also be a good idea to take a few screen shots of your icon placement, etc., before transferring information.  

Watch4 Classic
Galaxy S24 Ultra / 512 GB / Microsoft Launcher / Spigen Thin Fit case
0 Likes
davehorne
Troubleshooter
Options

Be sure to follow-up and let us know how it went. 

Watch4 Classic
Galaxy S24 Ultra / 512 GB / Microsoft Launcher / Spigen Thin Fit case
0 Likes
debbie d
Student
Options

would a sim from a s20fe work in a s23 ultra?  in case I need a new sim should I do the smart switch first  ? thanks for the help!

0 Likes