Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would You Recommend the S22 Ultra?

(Topic created on: 13-08-2022 07:49 PM)
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
I have had my S22 Ultra for a few Months now which is riddled glitches, some more problematic than others. I was really exited when I ordered the custom phone from Samsung for around 1.5k I had 1tb of memory and a nice gray colour and also got a bonus on top of my trade in.

My old phone was an S22+ just under a year old and after I sent it in a 3rd party company sent me a demand for £75 towards my upgrade as they said it gad screen burn despite being barely a year old. However as my S22+ was a good phone I figured an upgrade to an S22 Ultra would be a step up and the built in 1tb would avoid app memory availability issues when using an SD card

When the phone is working OK its great when glitches kick in its a real pain and often renders the phone useless e.g when Microsoft apps fail to load or network issues calls constantly dropping etc

I would not recommend anyone who relies on their phone to get an S22 Ultra and my experience with this leads me to be wary of any new releases from Samsung until they have been release for sufficient time for Samsung to resolve the bugs in their devices. Probably around a year or so

If I had the time to produce and send all of the bug reports to Samsung it would be like a full time job doing what Samsung should do before releasing new devices.

The worst problem is Network and Conbectivity issues, which include

Calls dropping despite there veing a strong signal
Wifi dropping in apps despite there being a full signal or WiFi connected but no Internet
Signal dropping for no reason, most noticeable when streaming I.e constant black spots of silence and spinning circle trying to reconnect
Apps crashing or disappearing from screen
Dead links on Web pages
MS Office apps crashing or failing to load
Occasional crashes I e phone seems to get overloaded and freezes, goes blank and then comes back on
Occasional cogs when restarting saying optimising apps or says phone didn't shut down properly

There are other Occasional issues that I can't quite remember but on the whole it is not a very stable phone and certainly not worthy of the price tag and title of a flagship phone

I have come to the conclusion that the bulk of the problems are linked to the phones inability to maintain a strong network connection as this not only drops calls and connections etc but it is a main cause for office apps crashing or failing to load I e if Internet drops, many apps crash or freeze

I also think the inferior processor used in EU phones has a part to play as the Snapdraggon whilst does have its issues, it is more stable than the Exynos or whatever its called? I believe Samsung may be dropping this inferior chip in future releases?

I'm not sure if the next update to Android 13 will improve things but doubt it, I believe the Google Pixel phones have had this for a while but not released by Samsung yet I think it will need a firmware update once Samsung can identify what's casing problems or maybe vendors linked Microsoft might find a workaround for their apps

So in conclusion, I have had Samsung devices for many years from TVs RAM SSDs etc and always find Samsung to be a better brand but my experience with Samsung Mobiles leaves a lot to be desired and this S22 Ultra has been one of the most expensive yet the worst experience to date

Hopefully Samsung will put a bit more effort into resolving the issues rather than relying on temp fixes such as users having to perform many resets, restarts clear this clear that bla bla bla and us as consumers can use our equipment with the bug testing and fixes already sorted before releasing expensive products to market
102 REPLIES 102
Reylob
Big Cheese
Options

I read that it is recommended the first time you posted it. Do you have any link to any official Samsung documentation stating that a factory reset must be done every 2-3 updates?

0 Likes
Andy3
Voyager
Options
10 in 100 phones have a issues. But again the op hasn't done a factory rest or even started in safe mode. A 3rd party app can't be ruled out or corrupt files can't be ruled out. There maybe some corrupt system files that will be fixed by a factory reset or a 3rd party app causing the issue that safe mode will turn off and stop loading
0 Likes
Reylob
Big Cheese
Options

A factory reset might help with some issues, but not all of them. I have done several factory resets. I wipe the cache partition and app optimising on the recovery screen after every monthly update. However, my problems have persisted. I have reported the slow-motion mode problem on the Members’ app and it was useless. As I said before, I am a light user. I have installed less than 5 apps that did not come with the phone, VLC, WhatsApp and Expert Raw, yet I have seen problems.

I do not know what percentage of the phones which are having problems, but clearly some are. I am very happy that you are not having any.

0 Likes
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
Thank you for your reply. I'm not confident a factory reset will make any difference. The nature of the issues I have I.e the phone working fine for a while then issues happening on an ad hoc basis I.e apps suddenly crashing or freezing then after a while start working again for no apparent reason. I think the biggest issue is the network connectivity dropping or not connecting properly as this causes a lot of apps to freeze and crash. You know this happens when an app reports no network etc when it crashes. You can see how bad the network connectivity is easiest by streaming music, video or radio when you get regular blank spots and spinning circle whilst trying to reconnect or calls constantly dropping. Bad Network capability combined with an inferior chip is a recipe for gremlins. Given the No of users reporting network and call connection problems indicates an inherent problem in the phone. I am an advanced computer system builder and could fix these issues quite easily by changing a network card etc as you can sometimes have some NICs etc that just don't like certain software or hardware despite not being faulty but I'm limited with phones as its a different environment. Maybe it's a case of upgrading to the next generation of galaxies as I believe Samsung are dropping the Exynos chip and going with a superior brand which will be more stable. In my experience resets at best can solve problems for a short while but they come back. I have tried uninstalling and completely removing offending apps their chache's and data and wiping the phones cache then reinstalling from both galaxy store and Google play which made no difference. So if the issue is due to third party apps that would solve that but it didn't. Its possible apps may clash with the phones firmware, OS or hardware which can't be fixed via a reset as many base model phones for less than £100 will run these apps without any issues other than speed. It could be that we have unwittingly allowed ourselves to be guinea pigs for the Exynos at our expense so we may be left waiting for a firmware update that will make the phones more usable and less unstable. Hope this helps Thank you PS if there are no issues with the firmware or UI then that will mean no more updates to improve stability etc 😉
0 Likes
Reylob
Big Cheese
Options

I agree with your assessment. Our hope is that Samsung eventually fixes the problems.

Andy3
Voyager
Options
A factory reset fixes 99% of issues its a true fact. It's wise to do that first to rule out 3rd party apps or at least try safe mode. That's what safe mode is there for to disable all 3rd party apps and only start what's needed. The op has not started in safe mode or even factory reset so they can't possibly say its hardware related or firmware related? It could be a 3rd party app. Such as a 3rd party keyboard etc etc that's causing all the issues.
0 Likes
Reylob
Big Cheese
Options

You keep making claims which are hard to corroborate. “A factory reset fixes 99% of issues its a true fact”, where do you get that number from? How did you establish that it is a “true fact”.

How do you explain that I have done, factory reset, wipe cache, optimised apps, all your recommendations and my issues have persisted?

The OP stated, “I am an advanced computer system builder”. I think that it is safe to assume that they have a reasonable technical knowledge. I am not sure about safe mode but I think the only thing that he is unsure about doing it is factory reset.

0 Likes
Andy3
Voyager
Options
You do realise device care also has a device diagnostic page also yes? The op hasn't even used that. So op fails to do a factory reset. Fails to start in safe mode. Fails to do a diagnostics cheak yet he very clearly states device has a hardware/firmware issue yet Fails to do anything that would find a firmware/hardware issue. Are you very shore his device has a issue? Are you even shore the op has even got a s22 ultra. I would be doing every thing I could to prove its a hardware/firmware issues so I could change my faulty expensive device. A s22 ultra is not cheap and you would do all you can if you thought firmware/hardware is faulty
0 Likes
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
Yes I have tried safe mode which will let you check bundled apps etc but it doesn't check downloaded apps aa they are disabled in safe mode so if there is an offending app safe mode won't let you find it
0 Likes
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
Thank you for your comments. You can't log in to accounts inside an authenticator app. They are installed in the app when setting up 2 factor authentication in whichever other accounts you are using e.g HMRC, Facebook, Google and banks etc. If you delete or reinstall the authenticator app the accounts are gone so the next time you need 2 factor log in the app the account isn't there so you are effectively locked out of all your accounts. To fix this involves a complex process in each account to recover it and set up 2 factor log in again. Some accounts don't allow it to be reset so you lose the account along with everything in it and have to create a new account. The authenticator app transfered over from my S20+ when I got this new phone