Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I COMPLETELY restrict mobile data to an app?

(Topic created on: 10-10-2022 08:09 AM)
Littlestraykitten
Journeyman
Options

Recently, my phone has been burning through data because I keep having to turn off my work's restrictive wifi in order to access WhatsApp, etc. The problem is that I often forget I've turned off the wifi connection and unwittingly start using data-hungry apps, like Instagram. I'm trying to find a setting that turns off data usage for an app; however, all I can find is a way to make them use data only! Why can't I also choose wifi only for apps? I know about data saver and turning off background data. The thing is, this doesn't stop me using an app while not on wifi. There's no warning or any other obvious marker that would tell me that I'm burning through data and not using wifi.

I've seen tutorials for other android phones that shows the option to restrict data or wifi usage per app. I have no idea where this function is on the Samsung 22 - it's so frustrating!

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
leicesterMan
Troubleshooter
Options
Did you mean this Screenshot_20221010_071953_1000002086_1665382794.jpgScreenshot_20221010_071923_1000002082_1665382871.jpgScreenshot_20221010_072018_1000002088_1665382818.jpgScreenshot_20221010_071938_1000002084_1665382854.jpg
leicesterMan
Troubleshooter
Options
You can turn on or off which app uses data or WiFi or both together by using picture 4
Neo001
Legend
Options

Hi,

Indeed, there is no setting to explicitly set up data usage for apps over WiFi only. However, there are some workarounds (besides the data saver and restricting background usage options).

In the app settings for example WhatsApp and TikTok), there are options to not to download media over mobile network or to Play videos using reduced quality. You should check in each app, if such options are available.

Another option is to keep your company WiFi on and set certain apps to use mobile data only (which are not allowed via your company WiFi).

Third option is to setup a bixby routine to turn on and off the WiFi based on the apps you open.

Screenshot_20221010-083053_Bixby Routines.jpg

Littlestraykitten
Journeyman
Options

Unfortunately, this is only an option for choosing data only. I need a wifi-only option. But thanks for your reply!

0 Likes
Littlestraykitten
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for your reply. That was what I was afraid of. I don't really want to have to set up elaborate workarounds that I constantly have to turn off and then redo because I'm at home and not on my work wifi. I just wanted a setting what other android phone makes seem to have as a basic setting - one that makes way more sense to me than setting apps to only run on data! I guess I will have to try a Bixby one that stops individual apps like Instagram from running when the wifi is off. Samsung, please fix this! 

UPDATE: I created a Bixby routine, but annoyingly, it only comes up when you turn off wifi. You can still open the apps and use them after the initial warning comes up. Also, it only allows you to select one app at a time from the routine notification. For example, when I click on one of the two apps I want to disable, the notification disappears. So, I have no idea whether the other app is still running.

There must be an easier way!

0 Likes
Neo001
Legend
Options

Totally agree, the workarounds are just that. There should be an option to set apps to use wifi data only. 

Via the Members app, send in this request as a question. It will reach the development team.

Littlestraykitten
Journeyman
Options

Many thanks, @Neo001 ! I'll do that! 😊👍