Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch WiFi Band

(Topic created on: 02-09-2022 09:27 PM)
SteveQuinn
Navigator
Options
I have a new smart lightbulb and can only deal with it initially on 2.4ghz.

How do I change to 2.4ghz without disabling the 5ghz band on my router?

The bands aren't seperate and cannot be separated without turning one off and I can't do that as it would cause so many issues.

I've had a look around the WiFi settings on my phone and cannot see anything related to bands.
0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14
Andy3
Voyager
Options
Go into router split the bands and on your 5ghz band put -5ghz
0 Likes
SteveQuinn
Navigator
Options
As stated in my post they cannot be separated like that.
0 Likes
Andy3
Voyager
Options
Yes they can. All routers you can separate the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands even with the most cheapest 5ghz routers. All you need to do is change the ssid name for the 5ghz band.
0 Likes
SteveQuinn
Navigator
Options
I have a BT Smart Hub 2. That setting does not exist anywhere on this router.

No idea why because in this case it would be very helpful.

All I can do is disable bands but not show separately.

Also see here for further proof that states that Plusnet's varient of the same router does not have the feature.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Separate-Bands-with-a-Smarthub-2-or-Pl....Screenshot_20220902-221137_Chrome_3046_1662153171.jpg
0 Likes
Andy3
Voyager
Options
You are very correct. Send it back and get a older or newer hub. They do not allow a basic function of separation of 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I would sent it back if I could not separate the bands. I always want specific devices on the 2.4ghz band and 5ghz band. These are getting so cheap you don't even get basic functions
0 Likes
Tourbillon De La Vie
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Maybe try to set up phone as mobile hotspot. You can limit it to 2.4gh. Or purchase a cheap router where you can split bands and use it as slave to main router. Or similarly a network extender 

0 Likes
SteveQuinn
Navigator
Options
Done it via the hotspot. Didn't think of that 😕 thanks 😁
0 Likes
SteveQuinn
Navigator
Options
This is the latest they do and the old one was sent back.

I've managed to do what I needed now but may look into getting a different router still.
0 Likes
Andy3
Voyager
Options
The latest one is worse than the one before that
0 Likes