Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S22 Video Editor leaving large unedited file on phone filling up space

(Topic created on: 08-07-2022 01:46 AM)
GlennPsion
Explorer
Options

This could be filling up your phone without you knowing.
Try this:

Screen Record for 10 seconds from your phone (try a You Tube video .. doesn't have to be full screen).
The file size will be about 20MB,

Open it and select the default "Video Player" app (Purple icon with white triangular button).
If you didn't see that and it opens in another app, reset that so that you get the choice (not explained in this post).
Pause the video a few second in, and hit the three dots, top right and chose 'Editor'.
Video will open in the Editor.

Do some edits:
- Severely Crop the video smaller
- Trim it to 2seconds
Then press Save top right.
Check the video size in "My Files" in the "DCIM>Screen recordings" folder.
It will now be say 2MB is size . . . as expected, smaller.

Reopen the edited file in Editor, and now press 'Revert' in the top right and then press "Revert" and then "Save".
Re-look at the file size in "My Files", and you will see it has reverted back to its original file and size.

Where is the original video being stored when you do the editing?
Clearly on the device still, otherwise you wouldn't be able to "revert".

If you MOVE the smaller edited file off the phone and move it to a PC,
the PC sees a small file. The truly edited version.
The PC knows NOTHING about the original larger file on the phone or the editing on the phone that took place.

What happens if you removed the file from the phone to a PC, rename the file and put the file back on the DEVICE (phone)?
You would expect that the phone would see it as a fresh new small file.
But no, when you go to the "Editor" again, even though it now has a new filename,
it somehow allows the 'Revert' option again, which means the original, larger, unedited file was on your phone but hidden.

Even if you make copies of this smaller edited file either on the computer or on the phone,
EACH copy, once back on the phone and into edit mode KNOWS that the full unedited version exists as the revert option is available and works.
It doesn't even matter if you move the files back into another folder on the phone.
It somehow knows that full hidden file is somewhere on the phone.

If you had a 1000 large files that were edited to very small files, and each one only SAVED (not "Save as copy")
and then you move the small edited files off the phone to a PC,
the large unedited files are on the phone somewhere taking up space. . .this can't be right

13 REPLIES 13
satella
Apprentice
Options

Yeah, it is bothering me also, as it shows the space taken in other (if you see in storage). If I deleted the file the other didn't reduce the space. I also want to know how to delete it.

Tourbillon De La Vie
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Use Media file guardian app part of Good Guardians apps suit to remove those files 

0 Likes
GlennPsion
Explorer
Options

. . . not sure if I want to go down that route of using yet-another-app to fix a problem that Samsung should not have created in the first place. SAMSUNG need to sort this out.

I cannot find "Media Dile Guardian" in the google store on my phone.

I can see 'some' discussion of it but that's all (see links below).
Don't really want to down load an app from a web page.

Thanks for replying though. Show people are having concerns/issues with this.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/media-file-guardian/

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-z-fold-z-flip/media-file-guardian/td-p/5792484

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyA71/comments/upb5dr/anybody_knows_how_media_file_guardian_works_its_a...

Reylob
Big Cheese
Options

You need to look for Good Guardians on the Galaxy store

0 Likes
GlennPsion
Explorer
Options

OK. Got it. Media File Scanning is inside the Good Guardian app (as a sub(?) down load).

After a scan it did show a sectoin called 'Temporary files' but wasn't very convincing . . . .  it didn't show the temporary files.

I shall look at this more closely next time I do some editing.

0 Likes
satella
Apprentice
Options

Really Samsung should fix this problem as in my country galaxy store doesn't have Good Gaurdians.

0 Likes
Street judas
First Poster
Options

Have you got the solution???

0 Likes
satella
Apprentice
Options

I didn't get any concrete solution. Now I just save as new video. And what I noticed, when I deleted (from trash also) the video that was edited then after few days Other size was also reduced.

0 Likes
Air-Walker
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue aswell on my Galaxy S10e. The reason is because I'm a content creator and everytime I need to make a video edit for social media, first I have to rotate all the large media clips that I filmed on my DSLR camera... which I bet you can imagine causes extremely large 'Other Storage' issues really quickly. Because I now have basically 2 copies of every video clip on my phone.  The worst part was that there was no way to delete the original sideways video even if I deleted its vertical counterpart.

I feel like Samsung should have really had an option to turn on Revert... or turn it off. (Similar to the option to turn off the Trash/Recycle bin)

Either way, I ended up downloading that Media File Gaurdian app that was recommended, and it at least shows me the 'Original File' and the 'Edited file'...  the downside is that I can't actually see which one is which. But I'm happy I actually have the option to delete one of them! 

0 Likes