Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S22 Ultra: Sound Issues

(Topic created on: 23-03-2022 10:36 PM)
RobDod
Student
Options

First, let me say I'm 100% a Samsung user. I've always been impressed. But I listened to nearly 90,000 minutes of music last year and if Samsung doesn't confirm if the sound issues myself and other posters here are hardware or software I'm going to have to return my S22Ultra. Audio is my number one selling point in a new Samsung and it's the only feature that has issues.

I was expecting beautiful sound quality from the phone itself and least of all did I expect the sound to be so much quieter than my S10+ in every way. The speakers are either smaller or not pumping as loud as they should be. Also via blue-tooth (Car, Samsung Buds, Sony Speaker), the sound is translated at a drastically lower volume. My Samsung USB-C to Aux adapter also reads the phone audio as being lower than my S10+. Let me be clear. The sound is definitely lower because of the S22 Ultra in some way.

I've tried developer mode sound settings, I've tried everything. At this point, I've isolated the problem as software or hardware of the S22 Ultra itself causing every supported audio platform to be quieter. I've NEVER returned a phone. I'd hate for this to be the first time if they don't vocalize their audio problem won't need a recall. 

95 REPLIES 95
Madfish
Pathfinder
Options
I think it's a hardware issue... the loudspeakers on the s22 ultra are not as good as previous models.

As for volume through Bluetooth etc I've not noticed that it's lower than before (note 9 previous device)
0 Likes
Sharon85
First Poster
Options

I am also having similar issues, my S22 Ultra today sound has gone off. If use the handset can not hear any voice calls, they can't hear me. Music sounds muffled and out of sort. However if use bluetooth speakers or bluetooth in cr sounds perfect. Only since done recent upgrade. Any advice how to fix? 

0 Likes
Easyv27
First Poster
Options

Same issues here. Bought the phone begining of March and sounded perfect, super happy. Sound from the handset after the 1st update sounds weird and different. Muffled and of course the already acknowledged video/sound being out of sync on pretty much all.

Never had this issue on other new handsets. Someone def dropped the ball on this, and it's incredibly frustrating as the price point isn't anything to be scoffed at, it's a high end phone it should deliver high end quality fron day one. 

GeminiJanet
Voyager
Options

Please note that these are the speakers.  They are NOT the same quality of the Note10plus or any other device.  Samsung really skimped on this one--and the battery life.  No update will fix bad speakers or battery life. It is part of the phone.  I already replaced the transformer on my speakers as the unit was broken out of the box.  I would tell you to take to an authorized repair or return the device.  I am keeping mine.  Glutton for punishment i guess :smiling-face:

0 Likes
The_Chemist
Voyager
Options

I have found that the volume is quite lower than my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra. 

In addition, the sound is not as rich and full. It is lacking bass. 

In fact the sound is not as loud or as good as my Note 9, S9, Note 20 or as said my S21 Ultra.

I checked the speaker volume with a sound pressure level meter and found that the sound output is about 3 to 5 dB lower than both my S21 Ultra and my Note 20. 

Samsung must have put lower quality speakers in the S22 Ultra. That's a real shame. We all paid a fortune for these phones only to be plagued with lower quality sound and less volume. 

I've been a loyal Samsung customer for decades now. I feel betrayed since each new phone that is released costs more and I get less. 

Just look at the packaging compared to previous models. And to follow Apple, we don't even get a charger anymore!

Im debating whether to return my S22 Ultra, as I work in a noisy environment and am afraid I won't be able to hear phone calls as well. 

Not only is the volume lower, it's tinny as well. Really lacking richness and bass. 

Hopefully there is a software fix, but I really think the root cause is lower quality or smaller speakers. 

Please help us Samsung!

GeminiJanet
Voyager
Options

I would like to hear the sound on the newest Apple.  Verizon has a great plan on  trade in and you can keep your plan.  I know that this is a SAMSUNG forum, but any reviews on the latest APPLE and how it compares to the S22 Ultra?

0 Likes
The_Chemist
Voyager
Options

Check YouTube. The sound quality blows away these new S22 Ultra phones. Many reviews on YouTube. 

0 Likes
GeminiJanet
Voyager
Options

I have heard on line and in person--but the question is to make the switch. 

I have to go to verizon and hear for myself and compare the devices.

But I am still wondering if REPLACING the battery and SPEAKERS in this device with the same ones will make a difference?  I know the same--but maybe different??

0 Likes
The_Chemist
Voyager
Options

I really doubt the speakers can be fixed. At first I thought a software update would improve sound, but I think the speakers are smaller, thus causing them to sound tinny and not produce enough volume.

When I listen to music on my S22 Ultra, I can only go to about 75% volume, which isn't very loud. After 75%, I can hear them start to distort. 

Battery life sucks, that's something that a firmware update could probably fix, but we all know from being past Samsung phone owners that Samsung takes their time to roll out these patches. 

So both of the two items from my order are defective. The phone which we just spoke about and the Galaxy Watch 4 with a crooked face, which many other people are experiencing as well. 

Motorola is supposed to roll out some pretty awesome phones this year, one model with a stylus. Hmmmm.... Possibly....

Motorola is trying to produce higher end products again. Motorola once ruled the phone market. 

With an iPhone you can't go wrong. Apple stands behind their products and takes problems seriously. 

0 Likes