Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S22 Ultra - GPS doesn’t work in background (Google Maps Timeline)

(Topic created on: 20-04-2022 11:30 AM)
Members_OAAKQ6Q
Journeyman
Options

Hello all!

I use Google Maps Timeline / Location History but I am finding that it doesn’t keep the GPS signal on the S22 Ultra unless the app is running in the foreground (the pointer remains grey and only turns blue when I open the app). 

I have never had this issue on any of my previous Android phones as Google Maps always managed to record my routes even with the screen off.

It seems that it could be related to some type of battery saving mode so I checked all of the following without success:

In the Maps app:

• Granted all location permissions: Allow always / allow precise location

• Allow background data use

• Allow unrestricted battery use

In the Samsung system settings:

• Location settings: Turned on precise location / turned on WiFi scanning / turned on Bluetooth scanning

• Battery & device care: Turned off power saving mode / turned off put unused apps to sleep / turned off adaptive battery / turned off adaptive power saving / turned off auto optimise daily

Is anybody else noticing this and/or is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot?

6 REPLIES 6
MusabQ
Explorer
Options
Its happened to me a lot, even when I open the app, sometimes it doesn't even sync with GPS, it may be because your Google account linked to your phone and the Google maps app is not verified to be over 18.
Members_OAAKQ6Q
Journeyman
Options

Good afternoon @MusabQ and thank you so much for your reply and for your suggestion.

I'm over 18 and my account is definitely configured correctly as I have never had issues using this same account on other non-Samsung devices until now (I never experienced this on my Google Pixel devices).

It is extremely frustrating as I rely heavily on GPS to be running in the background because I share my location with people through the Google Maps app.

Let's hope that somebody else has another suggestion for us. :hand-with-index-and-middle-fingers-crossed:

MusabQ
Explorer
Options
For sharing location with others in the background, you can also use WhatsApp or Snapchat, WhatsApp is the most reliable for location sharing in the background
0 Likes
GussyOz
First Poster
Options

I'm having the same issue with Sensibo App.

The app has a geolocation setting that should trigger after you leave a certain radius, but it fails if the app is running in the background. It only updates the location if the app is running in the foreground.

I have the same settings, even in preventing the app going into deep sleep.

I've opened a case with the developed and they responded that it is an issue with Samsung S22. 

The funny thing is that I tried it with an S9 and same thing.

Wondering if its an Samsung software update issue...

App works great on iPhone.

0 Likes
Members_bEhsZUN
First Poster
Options

I am sad to see that this is still an issue. I have been having this problem for a while and finally decided to look into it. It is very sad Samsung has done nothing to fix this problem...

0 Likes
tmoonan82
First Poster
Options

I'm having this exact issue w/ any mapping app I've tried using. It's not recording my tracks while the apps are running in the background but when I reopen app it just straight lines from the last position where I opened app to my current position. Were you able to find out what the issue is? My phone just started doing this one day out of the blue and I've not been able to figure out why. 

0 Likes