Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ONGOING CELL SERVICE ACCESS PROBLEMS following Samsung update One UI update: version 6.0 on my S22

(Topic created on: 01-02-2024 08:59 PM)
jpms22community
Apprentice
Options

I would be very grateful if anyone could suggest a permanent fix for a vexing problem I am having following a Samsung update and not having cell service.  Thank you in advance for any assistance you might offer.

1)  About a week ago on the evening of  1/22/24, I attempted to download a Samsung update ("One UI version: 6.0 with security patch level: 1/1/24") on my S22 phone (model SM-S901UZKEXAR;  purchased new in July, 2022) following a prompt to do so on my phone.   The update cycled for a long time, and then ultimately did not complete, despite attempting it twice. 

2)  The next morning I noticed I didn't have any cell service. I called our carrier (Consumer Cellular) from another phone and they tried different things and ended up diagnosing the problem to be the presence of a physical sim card in my phone (note: the phone is  1.5 years old and I have never had a prior problem with any Samsung updates and the physical presence of a sim card in my phone).  During that CS conversation, I physically removed the sim card and then opted for the e-version of  Consumer Cellular's sim card.   That seemed to fix the problem ... or so I thought. 

3) That same day, I then re-attempted a download  of the Samsung update, and this time it downloaded successfully.

4)  The following day, I noticed AGAIN that I had no cell service.  Another call to CS,  and them again walking me through different steps, and ultimately a presumed fix. The customer service rep ended the call by advising me "if it happens again, turn phone on airplane mode for a minute, then turn airplane mode off, and then the phone should reconnect to the strongest available cell signal." [BTW, during that same CS conversation, I had 3 bars on my phone so that should have been an adequate cell signal to make calls].

PROBLEM: Unfortunately, this "no cell connection" problem has persisted on a daily basis.  The airplane mode workaround has only temporarily addressed the problem... that is until the problem happens the next time.  Bottomline, I do not want to have to (nor should I have to) remember every time I want to use the phone to have to undergo these extra steps beforehand.  Plus, if I'm getting an inbound call, there's no way to know, in advance, that  I'm about to get a call and therefore need to do these extra steps.  Otherwise the call will only go to voicemail.  When this has happened with inbound calls, I've only known about the problem if the call sender decides to communicate with me another way (e.g., a whatsapp call, which has not been affected by this problem).  

My  phone is not old; I bought it new a year and a half ago.  The problems I have encountered with no cell service only started occurring AFTER the attempted Samsung update.  I have NEVER had a problem like this following other Samsung updates (which I usually wait awhile to install so any lurking bugs can be fixed before I download it; clearly I didn't wait long enough on this one).

Again, thank you for any insights/advice/suggestions you might offer. 

18 REPLIES 18
catchamoon1977
First Poster
Options

I have changed and rechanged and reset all the mobile network setting, APN setting, removed SIM cards, tried other SIM cards.   My husbands SIM card appeared to work when we tried it, but I have to admit we didn't leave it in very long so it could have been coincidence and was eventually NOT going to work long term.  

0 Likes
DMHugh
First Poster
Options

Having the same nightmare issues, with 2 deaths in the family last week and a dog in for surgery it is not a good thing, T-Mobile, Samsung, and UbreakWefix guys have no solution except to tell me that S22 is known for it. I never had a single issue in 18 months with it. Samsung only wants to sell me a new phone, sad but after so many years with Samsung, I will look into another brand.

0 Likes
Lady CassieA
First Poster
Options

I'm am having the exact same issues!!! My phone is now useless! My phone is not even a year old!! I have a replacement plan  but Verizon is giving me the run around by stating there are no replacement in stock!!

0 Likes
DMHugh
First Poster
Options

I was forced to buy a new phone Samsung was not able nor wanted to fix it since it was 16 months old. ;o((

0 Likes
Viersche
Apprentice
Options

I have this exact same problem with my s22 ultra after a software update, tried all the troubleshooting steps and none actually fixed the problem, do we have an official fix coming from samsung? This is a very expensive phone that samsung themselves made useless because of a glitch in their software update and they are not doing anything about it.

0 Likes
Daftcoont
First Poster
Options

Hey there so I'm having the same problem from researching this heavily I guess it's a defect when these phones were manufactured and its hit or miss some are ok but some of us lucky ones have this ongoing issue so here's what I've heard the antenna needs to be replaced. I guess it had to do with the antenna and the charging port and I've also heard possibly the motherboard might in the mix. 

I guess it's a cheap part but who knows how much it is to have some1 do it. Mine is under warranty (with litterally days left) and I sent it out (and told them the issue and the info i found) and just got it back and it's not fixed it's still doing the same thing! And now the battery drains like crazy and the battery wasn't an issue before (which I was thankful of bcoznive heard horror stories when it comes to battery issues with the s22u)

Idk let me know if this helps or any info you have come across bcoz I'm cooked with this whole process.

Liz

0 Likes
mruser48
Student
Options
Sooo anybody have a solution?
0 Likes
Daftcoont
First Poster
Options

....Read my comment. Replace antenna...

0 Likes
Old panda
First Poster
Options

I have had no cellular connection since the last update on May 7th. I have tried all troubleshooting suggestions, none have worked. Currently in Europe for 5 weeks and now no connection. Phone also overheats and battery runs down in a few hours if used on WiFi. 11 months old and worked perfectly until the last update. This should not happen.  Looks like I’ll be buying apple when I get back. Seems like this is not an isolated case.

0 Likes