Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dad passed away, and we need help accessing his mobile phone

(Topic created on: 3 weeks ago)
CGTYKLKC1
Journeyman
Options
Hi, my dad passed away recently and we have his phone but can't access it because it rang out of battery and after restart, it's asking for the pin code, which is at least 4 characters and includes at least one letter, according to the message on the screen. While he was ill, we didn't think to ask him for his pin/password. Is there any way we can access his phone? I have tried through his Google account on his Honor tablet, but he doesn't have remote access set up on his Google account; the Google find my device feature lists his device/mobile phone but it can't connect to it, even though we can see that mobile data/4g is switched on on his phone.
0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13
Laurac84
Voyager
Options
What phone is it?
0 Likes
CGTYKLKC1
Journeyman
Options
I think it's a S22
0 Likes
Laurac84
Voyager
Options
Do you know if it's backed up at all?
0 Likes
CGTYKLKC1
Journeyman
Options
I don't think it is, at least not on his Google account, and I tried his email address on the Samsung support login page, and the email address is not registered
0 Likes
Robin999
Black Belt 
Options
In short, no.

Taken from Android support site:-
When you first set up your phone, you will have entered credentials (email and password) and a PIN, pattern or password (not mandatory) to unlock your screen. If you forget the screen unlock PIN, pattern or password a factory reset from recovery mode would be required in order to wipe the phone completely so that you can then enter the original credentials (email and password) to begin the set up procedure once again.

If you have forgotten the credentials you used on the latest occasion the phone was set up from new, you will not be able to regain access to your account as there is no known legitimate way to override Factory Reset Protection that was introduced to prevent an unauthorised person from taking a phone, factory reset from recovery and then make it there own.

https://www.androidcentral.com/factory-reset-protection-what-you-need-know

If you are unable to remember the credentials that are irrevocably associated with your phone, there is no way that you will be able to regain access.
CGTYKLKC1
Journeyman
Options
Thank you for the detailed reply. I suspected this would be the case, but I was holding out hope that maybe there was a way. Thank you again.
Options
Puk it.

Do you have access to his phone details .... Network password etcm

If so, deliberately PUK it. In otherwords enter the first details wrong I til it says it's locked.

Then contact the network, and say it's blocked.

They'll give you an unlock code.

I know lots use a date of birth, or card pin, as their pin code.
If I helped or solved your problem, please like or tick solved.

Have been using phones since 1993, and am self taught.

I offer advice for free, cos I think it'll help, if it doesn't, explain why, I might learn something new too.

Current phone Galaxy S22 Ultra
Previous phones: most S series, Note 2, Samsung Alpha, iPhone 3gs, far too many Nokia's!
Case1188
Voyager
Options
Condolences 😞
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Contact support I think they should be able to assist, tell them what happened

Deepest condolences

I am sure one of the mods will pipe in, but I have seen previous posts on here