Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With OneUI 4.0 still no notification LED??

(Topic created on: 28-11-2021 03:32 PM)
Ramsesthegreat88
Apprentice
Options

As the title says, im wondering why Samsung STILL hasn't introduced their own (and not third party) LED notification light. Im using the Galaxy S21 5G S21 Ultra and am in frickin love with this phone except for this one ESSENTIAL feature thats missing (i don't know if its intentional or not -.-) even though with the latest system update to the One UI 4.0 whenever the camera or the microphone are being used you can see a "traditional" green notification light in the top right corner of the screen. So clearly they have the technical capabilities of implementing such a feature for normal notifications with a simple light on the top right corner (or wherever) while the phone's screen is turned off. Why something as simple as that hasn't been done yet remains a mystery to me.

7 REPLIES 7
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Under settings > search for edge lighting .
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Ramsesthegreat88: Sorry to hear of your disappointment, although there are a host of alternate ways to keep yourself notified of any recent notifications. Try heading to Settings > Notifications > Brief > Brief Pop-up Settings > Edge Lighting Style (Select your preferred style) > Show Even While Screen Is Off. Go back to the Notifications screen > Advanced Settings > Notification Reminders > On. Now, head to Settings > Lock Screen > Notifications, and set your preferences here. I'd also recommend having a look at some additional alert options, such as Settings > Accessibility > Advanced Settings > Flash Notifications, and Settings > Advanced Features > Motions and Gestures > Alert When Phone Picked Up. I completely understand where you're coming from, as the LED notification lights of old were a great way to check for missed notifications at a glance. I feel like the rationale behind not including a notification light similar to the Camera/Mic light stems from you having to power on your screen to see it, and in doing so you will already be able to see your lock screen icons, and other notification alerts. 

0 Likes
Ramsesthegreat88
Apprentice
Options

Thank you I already know that (otherwise I wouldn't have created this thread). My point is a complete different one as mentioned above.

0 Likes
Ramsesthegreat88
Apprentice
Options

Dear Andrew,

thank you but as I have commented above: I of course already know that and wouldn't have created this thread if i wouldn't have tried and squeezed out all of the options and resources available (beginning from the native system settings to various crazily battery consuming thrid party apps).

I do understand the point of view of you (and probably Samsung as a whole organization). Nevertheless I do not understand where exactly the issue is if a feature like this is introduced as an optional "older" (as you mentioned) way to check if you have notifications while the screen is locked. Flash Notifications, Notification Reminders (which are also extremely limited) etc. are all nice ideas but it can NOT be that after you released the new One UI and clearly have the technical capabilities to implement something as simple as that (as seen with the "Mic/Cam" light now with the new update, as aforementioned) and wanted by many members of the community, that you, for some reason, REFUSE or are unaware of introducing said feature. I think after all the investment from the community in the new S21 series we deserve AT LEAST an explanation in this regard.

0 Likes
Zamroni
Journeyman
Options

samsung's anti bezel fetish is stupid and bad for users.
galaxy s9 bezel is ideal design. it's minimal but contains many important features:
iris scanner that is more secure than apple face id and works with masked face
notification light

samsung's icopy spirit removes those very useful feature since s10 to make galaxy s have less feature like iphones. 

0 Likes
Zamroni
Journeyman
Options

galaxy s9 is the last galaxy series that has notification light.
how come samsung removes such important feature for the sake of icopy anti bezel fetish

0 Likes
Zamroni
Journeyman
Options

not as great as the simple hardware notification light of past galaxies phones

0 Likes