Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standoff with samsung regarding camera blurry in 1x mode

(Topic created on: 23-04-2022 02:42 PM)
EddN
Journeyman
Options

Hi

My s21ultra exynos has the issue that has been mentioned on several forums by others where quite often when you open the camera it's blurry on the 1x zoom unless the phone is shook or tapped. Examples of other people's issues below

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s21-series/s21-ultra-1x-camera-focus-blurry/td-p/3940793

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s21-series/main-camera-very-blurry/td-p/4073483

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s21-series/s21-ultra-camera-blurry/td-p/4495952

The camera worked fine until December 2021. I booked a doorstep repair and someone from wefix came out, plugged it into a diagnostics machine and said "no fault found, can't repair"

I then sent it to samsung direct and they also stated no fault found, returning it unrepaired.

I've reset the cache, camera data and obviously factory reset the phone several times due to the repair policy but no difference, the fault remains. 

Frustrated I contacted samsunguk via Instagram and they are basically saying "sorry, if our engineers say its not faulty, it's not faulty" and basically tough. They even had the cheek to suggest its user error and that for every photo you need to adjust the aspect ratio otherwise the photo may be blurry, this despite it being on the standard camera at 3:4 and it never having an issue until 9 months or so into ownership. I sent examples of the blurry pics in question aswell as links to the forums where others have had the same issue.

What's really galling is the multiple other examples of other people having the exact same issue, and it being fixed by samsung with a camera module replacement.

Does anyone have any thoughts about how I should proceed with this? The phone is under warranty and clearly has a fault with the camera that appears to be fairly common, but samsung are effectively saying "computer says no" and not willing to accept there is an issue and fix it.

It probably would have cost them less to just replace the camera module the first time then to pay for couriers to pick up the phone and return it it the second time round.

Any advice greatly appreciated 

34 REPLIES 34
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Changing aspect ratio is nonsense, it won't make a not of difference to blur levels perceptible on screen when lining up a shot. The only difference it would make is to the pixel count of the final image as the non 4:3 images are lower resolution files (common to all Android devices). If you can shake or tap it to get rid of blur it indicates a sticking lens stabilization device that is meant to reduce shaky videos from user hands or help get better still images too within the lens or wherever it is housed. So plugging into diagnostics would not return an error for something that effectively floats normally and isn't wired into your phone.
EddN
Journeyman
Options
Thanks for the response, it feels like at every step I've spoken to people who either have no technical knowledge or are just reading from a script. I agree, it's definitely a hardware issue and suggesting it's the aspect ratio is just ridiculous.
I've emailed samsung uk and I'm praying I get in touch with someone with a little bit of common sense, especially with this clearly being a common issue.
I come from a technical background and the suggestions coming from samsung so far have been a little bit embarrassing and lacking common sense on their part
EddN
Journeyman
Options
Attached are some examples - clearly an issue, especially in good light and of subjects at a distance20220326_115531_26772_1648295734.jpg20220305_114710_8504_1647522871.jpg20220311_105354_8593_1647522891.jpg
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
The focus point the camera is picking out seems to be off, it picks out the flowers to the left on the first and the palettes on the third. As for the street that is just weird. So maybe the floating stabiliser is throwing it off? When you are setting up your shot are you tapping on screen to pick out the subject to focus on or letting AI pick at random?
EddN
Journeyman
Options
These examples are just the AI picking, however when it's like this, tap to focus doesn't actually work either. It literally only corrects itself when the phone is shaken, tapped, switching several times between zooms, or switching to selfie then back
EddN
Journeyman
Options

So I tried samsung uk customer service via email, explained the issue in as much detail as possible and added several photos showing the issue... the response was unbelievable! Part of what I sent below, followed by part if their response (haven't included all - just what's relevant)

"

I have a samsung s21 ultra which is a little over a year old and still in warranty bought from samsung uk direct

The imei number is xxxx

In December 2021 I started noticing an issue with the focus on the main camera (1x zoom) which didn't seem to affect the other lenses, whereby opening the camera, photos would come out blurry and unfocused on anything at a distance, especially in good light. 

The only way to fix was to shake the phone or tap the side, making the focus start working.

I looked online and saw multiple other s21 ultra users reporting the same issue, and stating the only resolution was to send the phone to samsung and get the camera module replaced.

Some of these links I have posted below, but there are many others 

I contacted samsung and went through the usual troubleshooting steps (switch of tracking autofocus, reset camera cache, reset settings) but to no avail, ensured the software was up to date and factory reset. The issue persisted.

I then booked a doorstep repair and a wefix engineer looked at the phone and stated no fault found. 

I then, on the advice of a samsung chat agent, sent the phone to a samsung repair center, again it was returned no fault found.

I've contacted samsunguk on Instagram and they have basically said if our engineers say there is no fault, there is no fault and there's nothing we can do. 

They then essentially suggested it was user error and that I have to adjust the aspect ratio for every shot otherwise the pictures would be blurry, which, no disrespect intended, is rubbish, as this issue manifests on the standard point and shoot camera in 3:4 aspect ratio.

In the 9 months previous to the fault manifesting this never was an issue and all photos came out focused and sharp. To now suggest each and every picture taken with this phone needs manual adjustment is just silly. I'd accept that if I was using pro mode, but this is just point and shoot with the standard camera, and the blurriness occurs for static objects, I'm not taking pictures of fast moving objects."

Samsung response...

"I appreciate that you are not  happy with the information given to you by Samsung  but we have to abide by the repair centre findings of no fault found.

This rattle  is normal as it is a moving part.

(The sound is due
to the Camera Lens Barrel required to operate the Auto Focus function.
If your device supports an Auto Focus function, the Camera module lens
unit will be suspended over the image sensor. The auto focus adjusts by
moving the lens unit up and down over the image sensor. This helps the
Auto Focus speed and accuracy and also reduces battery usage. The camera
module is fitted with a 'Stopper' to limit the lens movement within the
camera module - when the lens and stopper touch (by shaking your device)
a noise may occur. This is a normal operation of the camera.)"

I'm lost for words! At no point have I complained about the rattle when shaking the phone, I know about the OIS, I actually wonder if they bothered to read the email?

I'll try phoning them tomorrow and see if I get to speak to someone with an ounce of sense

Quote "

EddN
Journeyman
Options

Well I got a reply from samsung uk which again has floored me...

"I appreciate that you are not  happy with the information given to you by Samsung  but we have to abide by the repair centre findings of no fault found.

This rattle  is normal as it is a moving part.

(The sound is due
to the Camera Lens Barrel required to operate the Auto Focus function.
If your device supports an Auto Focus function, the Camera module lens
unit will be suspended over the image sensor. The auto focus adjusts by
moving the lens unit up and down over the image sensor. This helps the
Auto Focus speed and accuracy and also reduces battery usage. The camera
module is fitted with a 'Stopper' to limit the lens movement within the
camera module - when the lens and stopper touch (by shaking your device)
a noise may occur. This is a normal operation of the camera.)"

At no point have I mentioned the rattle sound when shaking the phone! Honestly do these people just not listen?

antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
From my own experience reading and listening aren't in the job description unfortunately, you get the odd person who does but they are few and far between at Samsung. Someone else posted recently a link to an article exposing the fact that random Samsung sales staff devoid of technical knowledge get forced to reply to customer enquiries. So that goes some way to explaining the infuriating way they answer our communications at times
IJACKSON
First Poster
Options

@EddNI have been experiencing the same issue for the last few months. It's really upsetting as I bought the S21 Ultra specifically for the camera.

Are you certain that it's not a software issue? I thought it may have been a bad update.