Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So many things wrong with my S21U - I'm trying a replacement

(Topic created on: 09-03-2021 03:57 PM)
spitshaw
Pioneer
Options

So I've had my S21U for 3 and a half weeks and I've been totally unable to get it to act like a supposedly 'best ever Android' £1200 flagship phone.

These are the issues I've encountered:

- It's overheated on me four times, once while using the camera and the other three times during skype calls. I don't understand how regular useage can cause it to overheat so easily. I've never had a phone overheat on me in my life before

- I've not been able to get more than 5.5 to 6.5 hours max screen on time. And this is with dark mode enabled, wifi only, brightness under 20%, all apps in sleep or deep sleep mode. I even removed Facebook and Chrome as they were hogging a lot of battery and still no improvement. I have no idea how so many others are getting 9-10 hours SOT. I've only been using it for light useage such as browsing reddit, reading a couple of messageboards with the odd 30minute skype call or a couple of youtube videos thrown in.

- There was three times when I accidentally let the battery drain and each time I couldn't get the phone to charge or turn back on/show anything on screen. I'd wake up in the morning after putting it on charge to find it still dead with no signs of life. It then wouldn't register as charging. I had to faff around for like 15 minutes, changing outlets/chargers a few times and repeatedly trying to turn it on/force restart it to get it working. Just all round odd behaviour.

- Also the colour calibration on vivid mode seems to be really weird. Skin tones are pale, yellow and washed out. There's also a weird software thing happening when vivid mode is turned on. For example, an image in reddit looks totally different in colours/saturation than the exact same image opened in Chrome or Facebook. The colours would also visibly change when apps are fullscreened from being in splitscreen mode or from the recent apps tray.

My 4.5 year old Huawei P20 Pro has been through the wars, yet was still in a much better working condition (it was still getting 9 hours SOT!). I'm kinda annoyed I traded that in now. I'm hoping this s21u was just a defective unit and a new one will be better. I've definitely been incredibly disappointed so far.

Any one else had a similar experience?

33 REPLIES 33
spitshaw
Pioneer
Options
I have to keep taking the charger out and plugging it into different outlets and trying to turn the device back on. It usually powers on the fifth or sixth time. Such a weird issue
0 Likes
tinglish
Hotshot
Options
yeah send it back and get a replacement that's not right
0 Likes
tinglish
Hotshot
Options
this is my battery at the minute,1h 40m SOT with only 10% battery used,you should be getting somewhere close to this

Screenshot_20210309-232522_Device care.jpg

0 Likes
spitshaw
Pioneer
Options
My first 10% is gone within 25mins SOT for me
0 Likes
tinglish
Hotshot
Options
yeah go ahead and get a replacement or refund whichever you prefer.
I would say give it another chance and get a replacement because it truly is a wonderful phone.
0 Likes
SneezyDing
Explorer
Options
yep
0 Likes
Members_OAzQBl9
First Poster
Options

I am having exactly the same problem! My S21 Ultra battery wise is performing worse than my A21 (2019) or S7..., like twice as bad and those are already old devices... 

4h SOT (Screen on Time) this is what I am getting each day! Like WTF...

I have tried probably every single battery optimization trick in the book, except turning off the WQHD and 120HZ as those are the features I bought this beast of a phone for. And I am heavily disappointed.

What I have tried:

1. Nearby Wifi Scanning off
  2. Nearby Bluetooth Scanning off
  3. Device Scanning off
  4. All possible battery optimization/Adaptive features on
  5. Almost all the APPS put to deep sleep
  6. Phone fully debloated from all unused app including Samsung Smarthings.
  7. Dark Mode ON
  8. Adaptive Brightness Off  so it does not peak to high values wasting battery - with Slider permanently set below 40%
  9. Pretty much all the setting like NFC, Bluetooth etc OFF whenever not used. Data or Wifi ON depending on location
  10. No enhanced processing,
  11. 5G Off
  12. Second SIM OFF (For now at least) so it does not have to do the heavy lifting of connecting to two networks.
  13. I am actively monitoring my battery with Samsung tools and AccuBattery

At this is what I get... see below:

Screenshoot #1 - This is pretty much my daily experience... bearly 4h SOT and my S21 Ultra is Dead...  worse than all 3 phones I had previously.

159403620_150752613478983_2944442617210286329_n.jpeg

Screenshot #2 - Almost dead less than 4h SOT

158825775_850486645510136_8061467257157860222_n.jpeg

Screenshoot #3 - This one is from today, I am about to charge it for the third time and it is only 3pm... No games, nothing... The high number of SOT due to me charging a few times during the day

159518657_265691898505866_4453034700158494106_n.jpeg

I am so frustrated at this point, I am not sure if I should go return it to Samsung, do I have a defective unit?

Also on a side note, it tends to run hot even when I do a simple thing like scrolling a website for longer period of time....

Is this is what the most expensive smartphone on the market experience should be? Turning off almost everything to function? I never had to do it to this degree in the past...

0 Likes
spitshaw
Pioneer
Options
yeah I did all the exact same things you did. My last day before I sent it off I finally reached 7 hours SOT 🙌

how long have you had yours? mine was hot all the time too for the first 3 weeks, and it finally started to stop being so hot in the final 4th week, although it was still kind of warm sometimes
0 Likes
Members_OAzQBl9
First Poster
Options

Two weeks since I have it. I am giving it time until Monday to get at least a little better. If it doesn't i think I may visit my mobile carrier to ask to send it back for a replacement... 

0 Likes
SaiChaotic
Pathfinder
Options

I have had my phone for a month now, I have been having varied results. 

In my first week this has been my battery reading.

Screenshot_20210204-091844_Device care.jpg

 in my second week

Screenshot_20210217-153556_Device care.jpg

 and just last week before Tha AUBB update

Screenshot_20210307-164929_Device care.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
0 Likes