Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

finger print scanner not working

(Topic created on: 04-05-2021 07:43 PM)
Russ1990
Explorer
Options
Hi guys.

Just installed a glass screen protector and now the in screen finger print scanner does not work. Does anyone know if this is a problem with all phones with in screen scanners as it won't even read to do a new finger print.

Thanks 

45 REPLIES 45
ghosty
Voyager
Options
great result! glad it worked for you. now that know it works on that one better get a few spare screen protectors 😁
0 Likes
S21 ULTRA 2
First Poster
Options

I've just bought an S21 ultra. The fingerprint scanner sucks. You always need moisture on for it to work properly. It doesn't work at all on dry skin or normal for that matter.   

How can i fix it other than using moisturiser all the time? Huhhh.

speedyjs
First Poster
Options

Just gave my new A42 some cheap screen protector and faced that issue as well. Came a bit as a surprise to me. Anyway, I covered some 20-25 % of the screen with a slightly moisture, soft and absorbing tissue (in my case about 3 mm thick). I coved the other end of the screen, not too close to the sensor. With a little bit of trying the sensor did then read the fingerprint. To my surprise, it works afterwards just as normal, same as before without the screen protector. Just play around with this idea and it might work for you as well.

I found somewhere on internet that the screen protector messes with the fingerprint reader’s ultrasonic tech. So, I thought it might get too many interference signals, since the screen is, in a way, now thicker and the sensor is not calibrated for it. Hence, ‘catching’ those signal waves and preventing them from going back to the sensor could be a solution. And now it works because the sensor reads and processes the signals coming back from the finger(print) before the interference signals arrive (travelling across all the screen and back).

Well, just a theory, and yes, I might be totally off here. Please, feel free to tell me this is complete nonsense, but an explanation why it works would be nice. If it is just a sensor calibration issue, one cold come up with a fingerprint sensor calibration app (if there isn’t one already).

0 Likes
jsb
Explorer
Options

Hey i just got my s21 plus and i have the same problem with the finger prints. Have find out a solution?

0 Likes
joe7699
First Poster
Options

I had the same problem : to solve it, one solution, get your finger WET... it worked for me, hope that can helps

0 Likes
JM4CK
First Poster
Options
I have exact same issue. Samsungs chat advisor guy said the s21 is already fitted with a screen protector as standard, but I don't wanna risk finding out if this is right! Strange that touch screen works OK for everything else except fingerprint
PeterOdactyl
First Poster
Options
I also thought my new glass screen protector had blocked my fingerprint recognition on my lovely new Samsung S21 Plus. I read one Member's comment about wetting the screen. I moistened my fingerprint with my tongue... Recognition is restored! Adding fingerprints is restored! Will someone please confirm this "fix" works for them?
0 Likes
DerekNJ
First Poster
Options

Hey Russ..I think I finally figured it out.  I've been having the same issue and it's been driving me crazy. What I did that finally worked is I added my same fingerprint a second time. There are now duplicated of my print and it seems to work ok now!

Russ1990
Explorer
Options
Hey Derek what a simple solution how did I not think of this! Thanks very much. Anyone else who comes here with the same issue use Derek's idea and all will be well, cheers
0 Likes
Mtsl
Apprentice
Options

Nope, I just got the Whitestone protector installed on my  S21 Ultra, upped the sensitivity and the thumb print detector does not work at all

0 Likes