Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20 Speech to Text Not Working

(Topic created on: 17-05-2022 03:59 PM)
Bcrose1
First Poster
Options

I have an app that uses speech to text. Until last week, it worked fine. Users request a workflow title via wake phrase + title, then the first step of the workflow plays. Say the wake phrase and "Next" to hear the next step played. Etc. The green dot indicating the microphone is being used is visible and a green microphone pops on and off. What to try next? I've disabled the Samsung voice typing feature and have Google voice typing activated... 

This isn't the first time my app has failed on Samsung devices and I have been forced to figure out what went wrong. Why aren't the Samsung Android updates backward compatible????? If backward compatibility isn't implemented, I may warn against or ban Samsung users.   #S20

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
AndrewL
Options

@Bcrose1: Please can you confirm which app you're referring to in your post? Furthermore, can you clarify what actions you're trying to complete with the app, as it sounds more like an assistant app, rather than speech-to-text? The issue may be app related, rather than stemming from the phone itself, therefore please try heading to Settings > General management > Keyboard list and default > Toggle off Google voice typing, and enable Samsung voice input. When you tap the microphone symbol on the Keyboard, and clearly dictate your words, does this work as expected?

0 Likes
Bcrose1
First Poster
Options

Hi Andrew. I worked through all the keyboard and TTS options and they all work, but they don't work with the app. This would seem to suggest the problem is in the app, but the developers have it running on other Android systems without a problem and it worked on the S20 until around last Thursday, which is when I presume a security update was pushed. Those updates have caused trouble before as our programmers have to scramble to re-work the app every time you release an update. The app is Pythia Performance. You can download it from Google Play. I can give you a login if you want to see what's happening. BTW, we have experienced zero problems with iOS as there is 1 system for all devices and no memorable problems with other Android systems; only problems are with Samsung Android and they have been severe. 

0 Likes
Bcrose1
First Poster
Options

@AndrewL The app uses both speech-to-text and text-to-speech. A wake phrase and commands are used to navigate instructions. Example: Bartender says the wake phrase + cocktail name, the system converts the cocktail name to text, queries a cloud database, then the first step of the recipe is converted from text-to-speech and played to an earphone. It worked perfectly until last week and continues working on the other Android systems we've tested, but does not work on the S20 (and likely not the S21). In operation, the green dot displays to indicate the microphone is on and a green microphone displays periodically, but speech is not captured. We tested every configuration of S20's TTS and keyboard with no success.

0 Likes