Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20 5G supported 5G networks

(Topic created on: 24-02-2020 12:05 PM)
Bxd
Journeyman
Options

Hi, I'd like to get confirmation from a Samsung source with regards to the 5G networks that S20 5G supports in UK/EU. Does it supoort mmWave networks? The information so far is conflicting. I just got off a chat with Samsung support and they were adamant that S20 5G supports mmWave networks. This is in conflict with the information that is out there in the press. I think a clarification is needed. Thanks.

0 Likes
Go to solution
20 REPLIES 20
SAALVADOR
Explorer
Options

No, exynos version does not support mmwaves cause of the lack of antennas.  moderator is wrong.  and even if you read the global site, just in weight section, they specify there are two models for the s20 ultra and s20+ 5g, one with mmwaves and the other without.

Bxd
Journeyman
Options

Thanks, would be nice if @AntS could clarify. 

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Interesting. :thinkingface: And nice find there @SAALVADOR! :thumbsup:

I've re-raised this with the Product guys to see if I can get more info on this. 

0 Likes
Seans
Journeyman
Options

Hi

My wife has s20 5g on the three network with a 5g contract sim 

the phones only showing 4g i asked 3store and they said the 5g networks fine its samsung who are slow to update software is this correct

Cheers Sean

0 Likes
jcf2
Student
Options

I had a Note10+ 5g and when Three switched on 5g a couple of miles away I went and tried it and the N10+ 5g picked up the 5g symbol/signal and speeds were very fast. 

I upgraded to a S20 with same SIM and went back to test again but the symbol never changed to 5g and only stayed on 4g or 4g+. I thought the phone was faulty so changed to a S20+ but this has the same issue, it will not pick up the 5g symbol in a 5g area. Network mode is set to 5g/LTE/3g/2g so I am very confused as to why  these phones aren't connecting to and displaying 5g symbols when in a 5g area. This is on the Three network who have assured me the sim is 5g enabled so why is the S20+ not picking 5g up when in a 5g area???? Cannot try other networks as yet as none do a cheap 5g PAYG or don't have 5g in the immediate area yet.

0 Likes
Seans
Journeyman
Options

mines ok now it was us looking at wrong coverage map for out network we found correct spot and 5g worked 

jcf2
Student
Options

That's good then 🙂 

I'll have to keep trying, but went to the same areas several times where it worked with the Note 10 plus 5g but even in the areas shown by the coverage map as having 5g, all the locations I tried within the area have as yet never picked up 5g on my new S20+ 🤔

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

@SAALVADOR, no, no, no.

Look... Screenshot taken from Samsung Global SiteScreenshot taken from Samsung Global Site

It just means that "standard S20+"  weighs 2 g less than 5G S20+.

It doesn't mean that S20+ 5G doesn't support both mmW and sub6 networks simultaneously. 

In a certain way you're right... Samsungs S20 5G weigh 2 g more because of the antenna - - - >>> this doesn't mean Samsungs S20 don't support both bands (sub6 & mmW). 

Regards! 

0 Likes
SAALVADOR
Explorer
Options

and S20 Ultra ?? there's not 4g model therefore when they say 5g mmwave model it means there's 5g without mmwave.  look for teardown s20 exynos, you'll find out there's no mmwave antenna for exynos and snapdragon in korea. here you a teardown, but if you look for more you can find the exynos photos teardown with no mmwave antennas  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-OZVWcyN5w

0 Likes
PD2002
First Poster
Options

This is qualcomm 5G mmWave antenna and S20 will have 3 of these to support mmWave and no Exynos (988B) model is supported mmWave. It's only for snapdragon (9880/988N/988U) .Please remember mmWave need these physical antenna.

galaxy-s20-ultra-ifixit-teardown-space-5g-antenna.jpg

0 Likes