Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it true that Smart Switch can permanently drain phone's battery faster in some cases?

(Topic created on: 18-05-2022 09:13 PM)
Tatsuna
Apprentice
Options

I'm not that satisfied from my Galaxy S20 Ultra battery, honestly. I tend to lose 7-8% of charge overnight, with the phone having only Wi-Fi active and no notification-heavy app at all (I didn't even make the switch to my instant messaging app yet, which is still on my previous phone).

While looking online I read on this site and elsewhere that some people have tried to factory reset their phones without using Smart Switch during the first boot and the issue was solved. I personally used it and heavily, by picking each and every option the app let me select from my previous phone, hence why I might be an extreme case.

Is there any truth to something like this? It's not like I don't trust other users' valuable experiences, but it seems a little bit farfetched. If some of you could confirm it then I might convince myself of factory resetting and start over again.

6 REPLIES 6
Tatsuna
Apprentice
Options

What does it have to do with anything I said?

0 Likes
Tatsuna
Apprentice
Options

There's no such a thing as a linked account to any cloud or online content in my new phone, as I've already said in the first post. No backup or update has been made overnight, I checked it. It simply discharged a lot.

What about the Smart Switch influence? Could it be, according to you?

0 Likes
KevP79
Voyager
Options
Can you not just check the battery submenu and see what's using your battery?

Also go into your accounts menu, if you signed into a Google account its likely its backing up data once the phone is idle and on WiFi as the previous poster mentioned, a lot of linked accounts in that submenu have auto sync enabled.

I've just checked my battery usage and smart switch is no longer listed there, if in doubt put it in deep sleep or disable it.
0 Likes
Tatsuna
Apprentice
Options

I did it, and nothing came out of it. It shows display and system UI as the main culprit for the battery draining.

As for Google, yes I signed into my account but I made sure that it isn't performing any backup. I'm accustomed to it.

You won't find Smart Switch in the battery usage according to people I've talked with, the problem is not Smart Switch per se but issues with the transfers (especially of apps) that drain the battery. People really experienced severe differences when doing a factory reset and not run Smart Switch at first boot.

Now I'd like to know if this has some inherent truth or it is just some rumor.

0 Likes
KevP79
Voyager
Options
Well i hope you get the answer your looking for, I've just checked my app screen and it's used 0% of my battery from last charge which for me is around 26 hours ago on my s21 fe 5g.

I would of thought even if it was moving apps and I'm not sure why it would be it would have to draw some power from the battery at some point even if it was 1% for the 30+ GB currently installed on my unit. I used smart switch to restore my phone and I use it regularly to back up my data on my PC. Compared to the s22 I owned briefly I've noticed no such battery issue on my device.

You could always use it to make a backup then factory reset your device and set it up manually, run it for a week or two and see if it (your battery) improves.
Alternatively
I would suggest making a error report in the morning after the drain has happened and have samsung look at your log file.

Personally I don't believe smart switch negatively impacts my phone, I think its a convenient backup/restore solution.

Good luck and all the best
0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Sorry to butt in but I know exactly what you are referring to. Manhave reported better battery life by not using Smart Switch. I don't read about it so much now, perhaps earlier software was quite buggy so maybe a coincidence.

Try clearing your system cache, then go to the Galaxy Store and download Good Guardians and run App Booster. That should help your battery.
0 Likes