Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Contacts as default contacts apl

(Topic created on: 10-06-2021 05:49 PM)
walkerx
Helping Hand
Options
How do I switch from the default Samsung contacts app to the Google contacts app.

Currently both show no defaults set, but there are no options available to set either app as the default contact app.

Anyone know how to do this? 
0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
To make Google Contacts the default storage location for new contacts, open the Samsung Contacts app. Tap on the three-bar icon and select Manage contacts. Tap on Default storage location. Choose your Google account.
0 Likes
walkerx
Helping Hand
Options
Thanks but that only says where to store my contacts not which is my default contacts app.

Ie if I open phone or messages and click on contacts i want the default app I want to use to show and not Samsung contacts.

It does seem only way is to replace any app that open contacts otherwise Samsung apps just open Samsung contacts.
0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
If you force stop and disable the Samsung Messages app ,Google will be your default.
0 Likes
walkerx
Helping Hand
Options
So you have to use Google phone and messages to use Google contacts.
0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I don't know tbh
0 Likes
walkerx
Helping Hand
Options
No worries
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@walkerx: If you have Google Contacts installed on your device, you could try heading to Settings > Apps > Contacts > Permissions > Tap on each 'Allowed' permission, and select 'Deny'. With all permissions denied, you may now be able to default to Google Contacts, although I'm not certain that this will work for you. Let me know how you get on. 

0 Likes
walkerx
Helping Hand
Options
It would be great if could do that but no, has to still leave phone active as it won't let you deny even if Samsung apps not the default
0 Likes
BerylM
First Poster
Options

Hi, I want to do this - set google as my default location for new contacts rather than samsung - but I'm not trying to use the google app, just save contacts to my google account on my Galaxy Z Flip 3.  To that end, your instructions here work fine up to the point where you go to Manage Contacts - and there's no option for default storage location at all; just merge, import/export, move and sync contacts.  Do you by any chance know where it's moved to on these phones, please?

Fingers crossed!

Many thanks
BerylM

0 Likes