Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S20 Ultra Camera focus issues (again).

(Topic created on: 28-02-2023 04:50 PM)
JonesTheSteam
Journeyman
Options
I have a Galaxy S20 Ultra which I am soon replacing but I am preparing to hand down to another family member.

I was one of the unlucky people who had the original S20 Ultra camera focus issue which required the phone to be sent away for repair but since that happened I had not experienced any further camera issues... until now.

It mainly happens when using the fixed focal lengths of 1x and 2x which are both now blurred. You can sometimes fix the 1x blur by dropping to 0.9x (no such luck with 2x) but as you can imagine this is annoying as hell on two of the most used focal lengths.

The only thing I can think that has happened since I've noticed the problem occurring again is the recent 1st February 2023 security patch.

I'm at the point where owning Samsung products (and I have many) is really starting to annoy me. The only more annoying product I currently own is my truly awful Samsung dishwasher (best avoided).
0 Likes
(1)
6 REPLIES 6
Members_8cEB6nQ
First Poster
Options

Same focus issue here. Strongly doubting to buy the s23 ultra due to this problem. But afraid that with a new high end Samsung phone this problem can occur again. 

Is there any chance that this get fixed? as the phone itself is still good..

0 Likes
(1)
Members_xHMymlD
Apprentice
Options

I have exactly the same issue, and I tried everything except for making a hard reset / deleting all my software and starting again. 

I get some improvement if I switch to video and then back to the camera. 

0 Likes
Members_u2H9Um1
First Poster
Options

It looks likr this is not the only device that does this. My Samsung galaxy Tab A8 does this too. Focus works fine in video mode but it doesn't work at all in photos mode. The front camera literally takes better pictures and the rear main camera.

0 Likes
Members_lAmM96Z
First Poster
Options

This is purely hardware issues, you see the S20 Ultra has an extremely HUGE Camera and the removal of Dual Aperture from samsung devices doesn't help the REALLY REALLY thin Field of focus, which led to focus hunting and autofocus issues, it's great that you've managed to hang on this long without experience it, samsung may have reduce the problem through software but software is just digital, it will never fix something as bad as it hardware, Note 20 Ultra onwards offers a Laser that helps the main camera to focus, it's a shame that the S20 Ultra don't have it.

0 Likes
JonesTheSteam
Journeyman
Options
The really annoying thing for me is I had the original hardware focus issue with the S20 Ultra and it was sent in and repaired.

This then worked without issue until what I believed was a software update which seems to have knocked the camera out again.

So we are now back at the x1 zoom often being out of focus yet the x0.9 zoom being sharp.

However as I am sure you can appreciate for spontaneous photos it's incredibly difficult to hit on x0.9 on demand.

I now have an S23 Ultra which I have also had some rare focusing issues with but I will be watching with some interest whenever it gets a future software update once it stops being the flagship phone and Samsung may be trying to motivate you to look to look at updating you phone 🤔
0 Likes
ibby123567
First Poster
Options
I have the same problem seriously considering leaving Samsung alltogether
0 Likes