Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Camera resolution - I can't find a way to change photo resolutions

(Topic created on: 01-04-2021 11:51 AM)
NigeE
Apprentice
Options

Can anyone tell me how to change the photo resolution on the Samsung Galaxy S20+?

I simply cannot find a way to do this! When I search for this I find lots of results showing how very easy it is to do, by just going into the camera, selecting the settings and then choosing a photo resolution. The problem is, whilst that option might've been there in the past, it's not there now! I just cannot find any way to select the resolution for photos I take (and I therefore can't control much space they'll use).

The settings must have changed with a software update, but where are they now? This sort of thing should be easy!

Go to solution
79 REPLIES 79
TechImaginist
First Poster
Options

I don’t know if you guys found it but it is integrated into the camera app itself now. If you are in photo mode, you will notice a 3:4 or 9:16 at the top, tap this and you can change the resolution. If you are in video mode, you will see a similar button at the top that shows your current resolution like UHD or HD. Tap that to change it. See screenshots. 

31D1A40A-9815-4DB1-9D51-3D9C8AA6A6CF.jpeg

B8B18617-0EA7-4B57-82F8-4573C856CBDA.jpeg

9658C78E-F38F-473D-BF09-6BA5FAD8EF98.jpeg

4E0E469C-B7DC-414F-8862-6ECDF66C6320.jpeg

0 Likes
Descentman
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the reply. While that WILL change the resolution of the photos somewhat, it's an aspect ratio control, not really a resolution setting per se. I, like many others, want to control the resolution and therefore file size of our photos. I, personally, would like to change resolution while maintaining the 16:9 aspect ratio. Like another poster stated, some moron who knows nothing about cameras changed the app on the last update. We all need to blast the heck out of Samsung with a craptonne of emails so they get the message. I doubt they care about this thread, sadly. Knuckleheads all of them. Thanks again for the reply. 

ykmblr
Journeyman
Options

Samsung camera app should provide low res savings , to save mobile space. Every file 2.5MB and above does not work. If you forget basics, then you will be similar to Nokia.  Why the apps like whatspp should use such high res image and then convert it into 64kb image. The high res is needed for publishers, magazine designer and others. 

Normal man and his eyes can best have 75 dpi resolution and its a common sense. I love M31 and its 4 camera , but found that I filled up 42 MB in 2 hrs by clicking pictures at this rate, I can not use the phone within one month. 

0 Likes
ykmblr
Journeyman
Options

Your comment is good . The designer simply does not know the value of memory space. Space in google photos , gdrive sync and storing images can be pain for each image of 2.5 MB and 4MB in size.  We occassionally can use high res images for special publishing needs, but a common whatsapp usage is 64kb , 128kb size images in chat and general use. 

ykmblr
Journeyman
Options

I 100% agree with you. STUPIDITY when you consume the memory of 4MB for some simple clicks and there is no way to reduce the size by default to 64KB or 128KB . I am happier with my earlier phones with 1MB pixel images. For social , you do not need such huge files. 

ykmblr
Journeyman
Options

low resolution is needed . its needed to save memory and also whatsapp media database. FAT 3MB files are finally converted by whatsapp from 3MB to 64kb , when user receives it. Why we should upload such images for web, insta and other social sites. Its a terrible thing in a great phone. 4 cameras was a lure for me to buy a M31 , but its not useful . I filled up my memory by 1 /2 GB per day  ust due to camera app.

0 Likes
Members_rhFxz0m
First Poster
Options

I'm in the same position: I need to send a limited size image file to a govt location; and they won't accept a post-processed image.

I'll try a 3rd party app...shame

AndrewL
Options

@Members_rhFxz0m: Have you tried heading to the Camera app > Tap the cog symbol > Format and Advanced Options > HEIF Pictures, and toggling this option on? 

0 Likes
CoachV
First Poster
Options

I'm a photographer and I can't get my phone camera to work right...I've been with Samsung for all the notes.  This is embarrassing, my friends are taking better photos with their apple phone.  I'm seriously considering switch to Apple for the first time.

Descentman
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for trying Andrew, but high efficiency image format isn't going to help. There is one thing and one thing only that is going to fix this. AND THAT IS FOR ***** I. T. GUYS TO STOP SCREWING WITH STUFF THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!!! The camera app worked fine and had resolution settings before they updated it. The app just needs to be put back like it was. Someone tell Samsung to stop screwing with stuff that works fine. If it ain't broke DON'T FIX IT!