Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Camera resolution - I can't find a way to change photo resolutions

(Topic created on: 28-04-2021 04:07 PM)
NigeE
Apprentice
Options

Can anyone tell me how to change the photo resolution on the Samsung Galaxy S20+?

I simply cannot find a way to do this! When I search for this I find lots of results showing how very easy it is to do, by just going into the camera, selecting the settings and then choosing a photo resolution. The problem is, whilst that option might've been there in the past, it's not there now! I just cannot find any way to select the resolution for photos I take (and I therefore can't control much space they'll use).

The settings must have changed with a software update, but where are they now? This sort of thing should be easy!

79 REPLIES 79
Solution
AndrewL
Options

@NigeE: Please be aware that the options available to you in terms of adjusting photo resolution depend on which camera you're using. You can capture 12MP shots via the Wide Angle and Ultra Wide Angle cameras, and up to 64MP shots using the Telephoto lens by tapping on the aspect ratio menu at the top of the screen and selecting 3:4 64MP. I hope this helps. 

NigeE
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for your reply, appreciated.

So it seems that it's not possible any longer to reduce the resolution of photos below 12MP to save space, is that right?

InAGalaxy
Student
Options

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I'm not the OP but I came here realizing that the quality of photos on my s20 Plus have severely degraded and when I went to check photo resolution options, just like the rest I'm noticing the settings gear does not reveal any resolution choices.

Do you have a Samsung article on the recent changes to the camera resolution settings? And by your reply are you saying that the resolution changes based on which lens is in use?

I don't find this to be a reasonable solution at all or for that matter a solution to this problem because there is no way to tell if I'm using low or high res at any given time.

InAGalaxy
Student
Options

I'm here to echo your frustration and agree with you! I think it's pretty ridiculous that there isn't a way now, when there was earlier, for the resolution to be adjusted simply regardless of which lens was in use.

I'm thinking this change was obviously made by somebody who knows nothing about cameras and basically destroyed the whole reason of owning the phone.

Jayson
Journeyman
Options

This is a complete joke samsung sort it out I have no option to change the front or rear camera resolution as previously did.  It's missing.  

Shiroimo
Student
Options

Hi. I got my s20 fe 5G in february and I never had the option of changing the resolution. I understand from reading this that the option is not available?

It's crazy that all photos have to be 4000x3000 and around 3,50MB, not to mention the videos...

AnzHab
Apprentice
Options

Apparently in Android 11 the option to adjust camera resolution was REMOVED, essentially taking away users' freedom to choose how quickly their SD cards get filled up. My daily candid cat pictures don't need to take up 3-5MB each. 

For christ's sake, even iPhones allow adjusting this.

Bring. Resolution.Settings. Back.

We're all screaming into the void here, what are our channels to forward this to developers? 

AnzHab
Apprentice
Options

We're all screaming into the void here about the missing camera resolution setting and no longer being able to control how quickly our SD cards fill up as a consequence.

What are our channels of forwarding this to developers? This setting removal needs to be reversed, yesterday.

seutibu
Student
Options

Same exact issue here.. super angry about this, super unprofessional that it just disappeared after a SW update! Really  annoying as a few weeks back the resolution options were there.. this should be fixed already!