Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 12 on my S20 - so slow!

(Topic created on: 06-01-2022 12:36 PM)
alex_ncfc
Pioneer
Options

So yesterday my S20 (standard model) got the notification to update to Android 12. I don't usually put these updates off, as I like to stay current and up-to-date, but in this case, I wish I'd stuck to what I had.

From the first reboot after the update, I could sense the feeling that the phone was slow, and choppy. I thought it might just be settling down after the update, but no 24 hours later and after a few restarts it is still the same - animations and scrolling is choppy and the whole phone experience feels like it has slowed down, almost like the CPU speed has been halved. For instance, for some reason, now when I start an app, it seems to have two splash-screens? It has one with the icon of said app, and then the app's own loading/splash screen, which just makes everything feel so much slower.

Also, disappointingly, I have always had to have my S20 on the "standard" screen refresh mode, and not 120hz, as the 120hz option rinses the battery too quick. But I noticed the update enabled 120hz by default, and now it's worse than ever - at midday yesterday I had my phone charged to 100%. By 7pm I was down to 40%, and that was after one phone call and limited usage. So again I can't use the far nicer 120hz option because it just totally drains the battery.

By looking around the forum it is clear there are problems with this update. Anyone else experiencing the same as me? Any solutions? I feel like I've gone back to my old phone.

Do Samsung monitor these forums? Sort it out!

29 REPLIES 29
Samzung_Customer
Explorer
Options
I'm experiencing UI lags, I have reset, factory reset, cleared cache partitions.

The s21 series did have UI lag issues after this update and it was fixes, maybe there are similar issues with the S20 series.

I have S20+
alex_ncfc
Pioneer
Options

Thanks for the reply, I didn't know that about the S21 having issues with the update also, even with a better phone spec. 

How long did it take Samsung to fix the problems?

0 Likes
Samzung_Customer
Explorer
Options
As far as I'm aware it was patches maybe a couple of days afterwards.

I only updated to android 12 a couple of days ago but I'm hoping it is a known issue and Samsung fix it.

Also, with this update we got the December security patch.
Rooster63
Explorer
Options

My S20 5G has exactly the same issues you are describing. Tried all possible fixes but nothing worked. It is a shame! 

0 Likes
Rooster63
Explorer
Options

Same here. Also with frequent restarts when pulling the notification panel down. This is absolutely horrible and unacceptable. Just can't believe this! Absolute rubbish!

Bubblesthefish6
Journeyman
Options

Just upgraded my S20+ 5G that I only got the other day. It's now no where near as fast as it used to be and this is sad for me as it is a new device - I am also a new Samsung user. I hope they get it fixed soon as my phone is so choppy and lags about all over the place.

alex_ncfc
Pioneer
Options

Yeah I notice mine is really choppy, especially with the 60hz mode - but if I change it to 120hz I barely get half a day out of the battery! It's so annoying. It's almost as if they have slowed the phone down on purpose to make me get a new one...🤔

Bubblesthefish6
Journeyman
Options
yep, except I've only just got mine as an upgrade to my old xiaomi. The S20+ is a better phone than the S21+ anwyays, it's not worth my hard earned cash. Mine dies extra quick too on 120Hz. 60 was always fine for me, so it should stay that way
0 Likes
hijay1
First Poster
Options

Go to settings/about phone/software information/google play system update fixes it I think 🤔  

Updating Med ia

0 Likes