Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Option for "Require Device Unlock for NFC"

(Topic created on: 12-10-2022 04:15 PM)
ThatGuy22279
Student
Options

I have an S10+ running Android 12 and OneUI 4.1. I am using Google Pay/Wallet for contactless payments, and I noticed that it does not need to be unlocked for "small" transactions up to £45. I don't like having this security flaw, so Google Pay advises activating the "Require Device Unlock for NFC" to make it more secure

Only problem is: this setting does not exist on my phone! How do I turn it on? Or do I just need to activate and deactivate NFC entirely every time I want to pay for something?

And no, Samsung Pay/Wallet is not an option, it doesn't work. It won't let me add any cards and barely works as an app at all. I would prefer to get Google Pay to work.

11 REPLIES 11
keith30
Maestro
Options
You can pay transactions up to £100 in normal banking without having to typing in a pin number and you can change the settings with your bank to a lower the limit so that could be why in Google Pay the limit is £45 without any input from you.
ThatGuy22279
Student
Options
Yeah I get that, I just want to add some extra security so that if my phone is stolen, I don't have to also worry about someone spending my money via contactless.
I really don't understand why Samsung would remove this basic function?
colombianmuse
Pioneer
Options
I have an S21 Ultra, so I'm not sure if the option is not there for the S10, but what I do is I manually turn off NFC from the quick menu whenever I'm not using it. And when I need to use it I unlock my phone and turn it on! Hope this helps!
Options
Have you tried Samsung Pay+? It's completely free and easy to use.
0 Likes
George-Gig
Student
Options

Samsung Pay is not available in my country 😞 So Samsung better bring it to Georgia or at least give us opportunity to disable nfc when phone's locked.

0 Likes
chocohobnob
First Poster
Options
I have added a Bixby routine, using routines+. That when I double tap the side key it opens up Google wallet and turns on NFC.
To then reverse the action I have added another routine that when I unlock my phone with my fingerprint it turns my NFC off.
0 Likes
Members_wQrxx41
First Poster
Options

I have an bixby routine that if my bluetooth watch isnt connected the phone turns nfc off. I think this is the next best thing.

LordJJ
Explorer
Options
Is this a chat room or do samsung take notice?
Severe security issue with samsung phones and Google wallet.
Needs fixing now. Am amazed that this data leakage can happen so easily
BanburyGuy
Apprentice
Options

It's a joke - no doubt aimed at trying to get you to use Samsung pay.  Should be brought to the attention of Martin Lewis then something might be done!