Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Can I Stop Software Updates Using Mobile Data?

(Topic created on: 25-08-2022 04:20 PM)
Mysteryman
Apprentice
Options

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 and am with Lebara.

Every time there is a Software Update then it downloads it using my mobile data. Just about OK when a small update, but, I have been caught a couple of times when it has wiped out my data allowance!

I have "Data Saver" switched on and the only things allowed to use background data are GMail, WhatsApp and Tethering.

In "Software update" there is a toggle for "Auto download over Wi-Fi" and I have tried this both on/off - doesn't seem to make any difference.

No idea what else to try.

Is this something that I should be able to prevent or do I just have to accept that the combination of S10 and Lebara is going to gobble up my mobile data?

7 REPLIES 7
Paul0165
Journeyman
Options
You could try turning mobile data off while running update check and if update needed it should use your WiFi.
0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Mysteryman  Ensure Mobile Data is off in the Quick Settings.  You could also check the Developer options and ensure  Mobile Data Is Always Active (even when wifi selected) is toggled off.  If you do not have Developer options set up Go to Settings-About Phone and tap Build Number 7 times . See more detail here https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-turn-on-the-developer-options-menu-on-my-... 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Mysteryman
Apprentice
Options

, I probably wasn't clear enough.....

This happens without any warning! I do not do an "update check" - the phone does this all by itself and I only find out after the update has taken place. If it were to pop up a message alerting me to an available update - like I remember in the past - then I would be able to manage it.

The problem is that the updates get downloaded without asking me.

0 Likes
Neo001
Legend
Options

Hi @Mysteryman ,

Toggle on the option " Auto download over Wi-Fi" in Software update in Settings.

Also in the Settings--> Connections --> Wi-Fi --> click on the 3 dots --> Advanced --> Switch to mobile data <-- toggle this off.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
willjoe
Explorer
Options

Tap the three horizontal dots icon on the bottom-right. Tap Settings. Tap the switch next to Update apps automatically to turn it off. You can instead turn on Only get updates over Wi-Fi to avoid unnecessary cellular data charges

Regards,

Will

0 Likes
Mysteryman
Apprentice
Options
Neo001

Where do i make these changes, please?
0 Likes
s_hare
First Poster
Options

I feel your pain.  This has happened to me also.  I don't own a Samsung presently, but found the option under System > Developer Options > Automatic System Updates.  Hopefully this helps.

You may have to tap Developer Options or Build Number 7 times to enable them.

0 Likes