Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note10+ with 512GB storage plus 256 GB SD card; after OneDrive update, shows "Full Memory", can't utilize SD card

(Topic created on: 14-04-2020 09:12 PM)
Sorensen
Pioneer
Options

I want to be able to see my photos when offline. Therefore, I turn "on" the “Keep offline” function in OneDrive. However,  often, the switch goes automatically back to “off”. Why?
To be able to see photos offline, I have to first open each folder and scroll through the pictures to they ‘get them into’ the N10+ storage, else they can't be viewed when offline. Is that a correct approach?
When the “Keep offline” was set “on”, after a short while the phone’s Internal Storage went completely full (indicating 512GB out of 512 GB) and showed purely as “Other” elements, whereafter, the N10+  froze with messages telling that  phone "cannot function”, - a very annoying message from a 512GB flagship phone! I erased the recycle bin, cut away several folders and files, and then for a short while, there was space enough to share a few screen dumps via email. But soon again memory was full.
Having moved the many photos over to a backup-HD, the OneDrive showed the following storage data: Documents at 14GB, Still photos at 300 GB and Video files at 48 GB, in total 362 GB. After three days of constant OneDrive updating by WiFi, the memory still shows 512/512GB, even though I erased the many photos. Why is excess storage not set free? How can OneDrive or N10+ be instructed to (automatically) utilize both the internal storage and the 256GB SD card as ‘overflow reservoir’ or allow the user to place files (e.g. my Video files) on the SD card? I do hope you can advise me - this was why I bought the 512-256 GB gear!!! Kind rgds Torben

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey @Sorensen 

I hope that you are doing well. Have you been able to use this feature before? Are the phone software and apps up to date?

If this is the case, run the phone in Safe Mode following these steps and check if this is working correctly whilst the phone is performing in this mode.

0 Likes
Sorensen
Pioneer
Options

Hi TessM, Thx for quick reply - much appreciated! I am now running my Note10+ in SAFE MODE. I have further cut away 20 GB photos from my Lenovo database (now totalling 340GB), and OneDrive is humming along syncronizing 6,1 out of 29 GB. I will keep ACPower on till tmrw, and hope to see that the reduced GB photo load is reflected in the Internal Storage usage, which now shows that 511GB of 512 GB, and on SD Card 100MB of 239GB is used. I'm still uncertain re. how the N10 'manages' its storage allocation btw internal and SD and how I as user can decide e.g. to have my Videos sitting on the SD. Looking forward to hear back, and I will report status tomrw. Kind rgds, Torben

0 Likes
CarlH
Options

Are these videos you've recorded or are they downloaded from somewhere else, @Sorensen?

0 Likes
Sorensen
Pioneer
Options

never seen that *****.

0 Likes
Sorensen
Pioneer
Options

Hello TessM (or other moderator). During the night, OneDrive has been running, and Note been in SafeMode. Unfortunately, NO IMPROVEMENT! 1) Under "My Files" it still shows IternalStorage  511GB "Other". Duplicate files - just 4MB (I erased a few) and Large files in total 92 GB. I saw a number of dublicates and deleted around 10GB. 2) Under Setting>App>OneDrive>Storage>Data: shows 482GB. Surprising, when the OneDrive App shows: a total file space of just 365GB. I would hate to delete all Data, and then have OneDrive restore my pictures on the Note10. Are there other routes? Kind rgds Torben

0 Likes
Sorensen
Pioneer
Options

Hi TessM

I am eager to get input from you concerning my 512 overloaded N10+ 

I can no longer send even mails og download - it says "memory is full".... VERY ANNOYING!! Please help.

Kind regards

Torben

0 Likes
Sorensen
Pioneer
Options

PLEASE RESPOND - MY n10+ IS COMPLETELY DEAD DUE TO FULL MEMORY!!!!!! /t

0 Likes
AntS
Options

@Sorensen , Hi Torben! We've asked some of our developers about this one for you, and are waiting to hear back from them.

Are you able to reboot your phone at all when it's plugged in? E.g in Recovery Mode:

Spoiler
Recovery Mode: Power + Volume Up + Bixby at the same time until the Samsung logo appears. The Android logo and Recovery Mode screens should appear after that.

Navigate using the Volume key; select an option using the Power key.

Do not select 'wipe data/factory reset' unless you want to wipe all user data from the device.
0 Likes
AntS
Options

@Sorensen , Hi Torben! Just received a reply from our developers explaining a little more about the memory allocation:

"System cannot manage storage allocation between internal and external storage.
Those storage devices are totally different system and physically seperated.
App should decide where to store the data.
This policy is same with PC too. User can divide the storage with seperated partitions and use external storage devices.
But user should select where to store data too. Window system doesn't allocate the data to different devices according to the remain space."

Interpreting that for you: the memory allocation for an app is managed by the app, available storage options, and relevant available user settings, rather than automatically by the device's system.

They've also advised that the specific issue in this case occurs in OneDrive, which is Microsoft's app - and so can't be fixed by Samsung. However, Microsoft has been informed about this issue, so hopefully Microsoft will be working on a fix. 👍

0 Likes