Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Note 10 cracked screen

(Topic created on: 27/02/20 20:11)
dcavni
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series

A month old. From day 1 in Spigen Ultra Hybrid case and last two weeks with Whitestone dome screen protector. I took it from the pocket in the evening (i was driving with the car before when i put it in the pocket after a call and it was ok) and found this. It cracked above the power button throughout the whole screen. The crack on the screen protector above that one was made by me, when i was checking if the screen actualy cracked. The screen and touch still works fine. How is this even possible, that the screen cracks inside the front pants pocket by itself? Aren't phones designed for carrying them in pocket? There was nothing else in the pocket that could cause the crack and also, the crack started at the very beggining of the glass 2 mm inside the case. I found some simillar cases of spontaneus cracks in the same way on the Samsung phones on the internet. It looks like manufacture defect, but how to proove it to the Samsung service center? I have had only Samsung phones until now and also in the family we have 3 more and not even 1 had a broken screen until now. I will certanly rethink my brand decision if i will have to pay for apparent manufacturing defect even for the price of loosing S-pen.

The realy expensive phone is becoming even more expensive...

92 REPLIES 92
dcavni
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series

20190927_151555.jpg

BandOfBrothers
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series

A phones display can crack for any number of reasons @dcavni 

A drop to the floor / surface.

An accidental bump against another surface.

An accidental bump a person hasn't been aware of that's happened .

Some form of Stress caused by having the phone in a pocket or from sitting down with it in the back pocket.

Unfortunately all Samsung will see is that the screen is cracked which is usually occured from accidental damage and would charge for a repair as this type of damage isn't included in their Manufacturing Warranty.

I've seen past posts here and on other forums where owners of various phones , not just Samsung, who have shared their experience that their phones screen has mysteriously cracked.

Can this happen ? Yes I think it could if the display is under some form of stress from the manufacturing  / assembly stage.

Proving this is unfortunately going to be difficult.

You could try engaging with Samsung to explain the situation and see what they say after examining the phone.

Or if the phone was supplied by a Network as part of a contract then approach them.

If you have phone insurance then look to that or if you have Home Contents Insurance that may cover your phone. In the UK some Bank Accounts provide mobile phone cover as a perk of the account.

T&C's and Excess Fee's would need to be checked.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G SM-N9860_256Gb SnapDragon 865+

Samsung One Ui 3.0/ Android 11.

0 Likes
Rithvik
First Poster
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series
Same thing Happened with my new Note 10 Phone.A Crack above the power button
0 Likes
Cassidy007
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series

Hi @dcavni , @touki , @MariePopik , @Matthewfrank , can you take pictures to show us where the screen cracked  and post them here ?

dcavni
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series

I put my pictures in second post.  I still believe this is a manufacturing defect but it's impossible to prove that. I had to pay appx. 1100 EUR for the phone, then i payed appx. 160 EUR for the new screen since they celebrated 50 years of Samsung Austria and they offered 50% discount on screen exchange. After all that expenses i found out, that the phone is incapable of recording video more than 3,8 GB (like buying an overpriced Iphone with limitations) in size, so i had enough. If nothing happens in better customer service  and acknowledging their own mistakes my next phone will probably be Huawei or Oneplus. Less money and the same experience. I had S2, and Note 4 before. Didn't brake a screen on neither of those in i don't even know how many years. You buy Note 10+ and it just brakes by itself in pocket. I don't even dare to carry it in anything other than wallet case. So my experience for now is Buy Note 10+ if you want more expenses.

0 Likes
MariePopik
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series

received_546254016232446.jpeg

0 Likes
Lizzys66
Just Browsing
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series
0 Likes
ChrisNunn
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series

That's pretty well exsct to my front screen cracked!  See these they all meet together?   Samsung: "That's the impact point..   you dropped it.."   they even circled it and sent it back to me in an email.  Not covered.  Jerks.  The Note10 is defective!  Simple to se .  

0 Likes
ChrisNunn
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series

Awesome.  Just awesome. I should have boxed it up and sold it when Samsung sent it back.  Just sat down for lunch..  looked at my phone sitting on my desk..  and..  same cracks..  same exact place.   This is cruel.  I can't believe I have to call Samsung all over again..  I'm sure it'll never get covered a 2nd time.  These phones are clearly defective.  This phone was safe on my desk all morning in a case.  Wow wow.  What a nightmare.  I'm stunned..  IMG_7137.jpg

IMG_7140.jpg

IMG_7139.jpg

Cassidy007
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series

Hi @ChrisNunn , i saw then your settings looks like you are in Canada, (google.ca). If you are Canadian,  did you try to get help on their website :

https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/Canada/ct-p/ca

I am looking on many Samsung's forum and United Kingdom seem the only place where this problem happened, i never saw this problem elsewhere, this is why it's difficult to understand why here ?

0 Likes
ChrisNunn
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series

Wow.  I didnt realize it was by location.  I'm on the phone with Samsung Canada now.

0 Likes
ChrisNunn
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series

Samsung are actually going to cover the mystery cracks a 2nd time.  It was a battle.  Again.  I feel very lucky.   I'm selling it as soon as it gets back from being repaired and deleting my Samsung account.  It's time to end the madness.  It's been years of issues.  Enough is enough.  Good luck everyone!  Keep fighting!  Haha.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease!  :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Cassidy007
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series

@ChrisNunn 

Samsung Canada or Samsung UK ?

Where do you live finally, lucky guy ?

0 Likes
ChrisNunn
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series

I feel very lucky!  $800 worth of repairs.  Very rattled from this.   It was such a fight.  Quitting while I'm ahead and getting away from it.  I am in Canada.   Samsung Canada helped me.  I ended up here by googling note10+ cracked screen after the 1st mystery crack.   Didnt notice it the EU.  Haha sorry!

0 Likes
Cassidy007
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series

@ChrisNunn you are really lucky but tell me, i am curious,  , did you ever use this kind of tripod stand holder on your device to make photography ?Smartphone holderSmartphone holder

Holder with springHolder with spring

Because of the curved screen of the Galaxy Note 10, i think  you can't use this kind of holder with a spring because it can cracked  the screen at the same place than all pictures show here..

0 Likes
ChrisNunn
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series
No never. That's one toy I have t picked up yet, but would like to at some point. Both times my screen cracked the phone was in a case sitting flat on a coffee table(1st)/work desk2nd crack) I have witnesses who were with me both times. There is something wrong with the housing or something in that area. Its brutal. Weak.
0 Likes
Cassidy007
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series

@ChrisNunn i crossed my fingers, i like my Note10 + and I hope never seeing it on mine.

Can you show me the case you use on first one ?

0 Likes
ChrisNunn
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series

I hope so too!  I'm still in shock that it happened to me again 5 days later.  Thankfully I have a back up phone!

0 Likes
Yinelkis
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series

On a similar boat. I have always had Samsung phones. I am 19 so I have had to argue why I have had Samsung since I can remember. One of the main reasons why I always used and defended Samsungs is because of how durable they are. I got the Note 10 around 37 days ago. I for the first time ever put a screen protector on my phone and today I dropped it less than two feet and now my screen is cracked underneath. There is a huge line going across the screen and the bottom half of the phone keeps flickering. I dropped my S9+ probably once a week from my hands and nothing ever happened to it. I have dropped this piece of garbage maybe one other time and it immediately breaks. I will most likely be switching to Apple, like everyone else my age. I cannot afford to spend 900$ for a phone that will break easily. I'd rather pay 1000$ and finally be able to facetime my grandma because at the end of the day it will break as easily as the new Samsungs. 

Cassidy007
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy Note10 Series

Hi @dcavni , please go  check this, i found many user having problems with the Whitestone dome glass for the Note 10 in different forum :

https://youtu.be/Ks8yutlWJhM

Hi @Yinelkis , 

Eeeee Why do you put a screen protector,  ALL Note 10 have a Samsung's screen protector , did you remove it to put another kind of screen  protector  on  your screen or you installed  a screen  protector  ON the Samsung's  screen protector ?

0 Likes