Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi - couldn't authenticate connection

(Topic created on: 23-09-2021 08:12 AM)
zagp
Apprentice
Options
Hi there,

Does anyone else find that when connected to WiFi after any amount of time, short or long it acts as though you are not connected. When you click the WiFi button it shows as connected, but with the message "Couldn't authenticate connection". It doesn't appear to be my WiFi as other devices and users are accessing and using it without disruptions. I eventually get reconnected after turning the WiFi off and one a few times, but it would be good if anyone has a fix they can share. (I've tried a restart and OS update and it's still the same.)

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
mapz
Student
Options
I sometimes get that as well and sometimes I just have to restart my phone then it works like usual
AndrewL
Options

@zagp: Please can you confirm the model number and current Android version of your phone? Do you experience the same issue when connected to another Wi-Fi router, a friend or family members, or is it just your home Wi-Fi? 

To troubleshoot this issue please head to Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi > Tap the cog symbol to the right of your router > Forget > Back > Toggle Wi-Fi off and on again > Select your router from the list of available connections, and run through the connection steps. Now, go to Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi > Tap the cog next to your router > Advanced > MAC Address Type, and set this to Phone MAC. If the issue persists, please try pressing the Volume Down and Power buttons together for around 10 seconds until the phone restarts, as this will refresh the software and address any issues that might be a contributing factor. I also recommend resetting your router to ensure that there are no temporary network issues. 

NateWillis
First Poster
Options

This exact thing also happened to my newly bought Galaxy A52 a few weeks back. I sent it back to Samsung and had it replaced since it was still within 7 days of purchase. I still haven't received the new unit, but did you fix this?

It was annoying to me and restarting every time it happens doesn't seem like a reasonable thing to do since it happened quite often, multiple times to me every night.

0 Likes
Sevenbody
First Poster
Options

This just happened to me. I'm trying to break clean from what appears to be two entities breaching my security. The first, was a person who was my friend who I let stay here and come to find out he was using a beta assistant app to turn on talkback and then toggling on read passwords aloud using headphones. Anyways new modem and factory reset my s21 and just as I finally begin feeling safe this starts happening. I've fever feel like my security was breached in the past but now that it has been it's not a good feeling. Strange things that maybe normal has me jumpy. My log in to Amazon showed a difference IP address than what my phone or router is. So I traced it and it lead to a cemetery about 15 miles away. I'm about to just go off the grid and take a couple red heads with me.

0 Likes
zagp
Apprentice
Options
Hi Andrew, thanks for your trouble shooting suggestion I have tried this but it has resorted to loosing connection again. I have an A12 with Android 11 and I have set it my on automatic restart Monday and Friday. I've also reset my router. The only thing I've been unable to try is another WiFi source, however I have other devices connected to the router and then don't have connection issues. Any further thoughts?
0 Likes
zagp
Apprentice
Options
Still no fix for this 😞 hoping it will get sorted soon because it's beginning to get annoying.
0 Likes
refl3x
Apprentice
Options

i got the same problem, i got to restart my phone so it works again

0 Likes
SM8
First Poster
Options

I am also facing same problem....

0 Likes
Nate24
First Poster
Options

I have received the replacement unit and had to create a new account. Issue is still there and when using bluetooth galaxy buds+ and fb messenger calls, connection to wifi keeps dropping out. I'm starting to think this is a factory level issue where every device is affected by a hardware bug

0 Likes