Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my new SIM in galaxy not show phone number. It says Unknown number

(Topic created on: 01-07-2021 03:15 PM)
lesb
Journeyman
Options
In device it doesn't register my number or in SIM settings. How can this be rectified
0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19
AndrewL
Options

@lesb: SIM cards feature a temporary number before a personal number is assigned by your network. On occasion, this can create a read error on the phone, so the number shows as 'Unknown' in Settings > About Phone. I understand that this isn't ideal, however please be assured that it will not affect your network access or capabilities, so everything will still function as expected. 

pepejoe
First Poster
Options
This is a problem with my galaxy A4 2 5G. Contacted Virgin but unable to get a solution.
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Yeah unfortunately I don't know any Samsung phones able to adjust the number, dual SIM or not. As I mentioned I have a dual SIM Huawei P30 Pro which I'm able to so perhaps some cheaper dual SIM Huawei devices you may be able to. Beyond that I'm not sure how else to change it.
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
get another replacement SIM, the one you have is most likely DOA if it won't work in any other phone you may have available or can borrow to test it with
0 Likes
Blind_Marv
Pathfinder
Options
I also have a Samsung Galaxy a42 5g with a BT sim which doesn't automatically show the phone number. I have also had the same issue on previous Samsung galaxy phones .
Does it work for anyone?
0 Likes
jr011147
Student
Options

Phone it and automated voice said thI have had exactly the same thing when looking for my mobile phone number! Does it show a totally different phone number?

If so, I went to Tesco Mobile this morning and a very nice chap explained it to me. The new SIM card issued when upgrading my phone (kept same phone number) has an original phone number issued by Samsung but it is not issued as such and you keep the same number if it was just an upgrade. I had no trouble with receiving calls on my original number, just found out about it when someone asked for my number and I had to look it up and it wasn’t the one that was originally mine. When I phoned the number shown, an automated voice said ‘ this number is not recognised’. Hope this helps.

0 Likes
ItsMarty3
First Poster
Options
I have this same problem on my Galaxy s22 ultra. The phone is a sim free unlocked bought directly from Samsung. I have my Vodafone pay as you go sim in slot 1 and I got a virgin contract sim only plan. The Vodafone number shows but the virgin doesn't. It recognises its a virgin but it says number unknown. I've tried switching the sims but the brand new virgin sim won't display the number. And I'm pretty certain this is also disabling me being able to use chat features instead of sms which is super annoying cus chat uses data or WiFi and sending photos or anything is free but I'm being charged for mms 50p each. Virgin said its a Samsung bug. I don't care about the number showing in the sim manager but I really need chat to work which it fails to register my new virgin number I think because it can't detect the number on the sim.. very disappointed now with the s22 ultra. There must be an app or something I can use? I'm guessing I'll have to jailbreak it just to get chat. Very sad 😔

Ps. I can still make and receive calls on my virgin sim (which is the sole sim I have in my device now) but because it don't show number I am denied chat. From Samsung default sms client app and Google messages app both fail to register my new virgin number. But has no problem registering my Vodafone sim because it shows my number in sim manager. I also have 2 giffgaff sim cards which 1 shows the number and 1 doesn't and the one that doesn't fails to register for chat and the one that does has no problem registering for chat.. so how can I force sim manager to display my virgin number? I don't care about warranty at this point and will hack the phone if someone could help me how please
0 Likes
Nico1986
Journeyman
Options

I had the same thing after changing from Vodafone to Virgin. The only way I was able to remedy was to put my sim in my brothers iPhone, go to phone settings and enter a number in there. It then writes it to the sim. When I put the sim back in my Samsung it worked. It seems that's about the only thing an iPhone is useful for. 

0 Likes
Mezous
First Poster
Options

Put the SIM card into any iphone of your family or friends then go to settings > phone > edit my phone number 

Then get it back to your samsung it will show the number 🫡

0 Likes
Mezous
First Poster
Options

Put the SIM card into any iphone of your family or friends then go to settings > phone > edit my phone number 

Then get it back to your samsung it will show the number 🫡

0 Likes