Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The samsung camera app won't work unless the "Nearby device" permission is granted

(Topic created on: 02-02-2022 08:23 AM)
wizardofoz
Explorer
Options

I noticed that the samsung camera app won't work unless the "Nearby device" permission is granted. It will just crash as if the app cannot run without this permission, which is a nonesense.

Problem is, nearby device permission gives access to bluetooth scanning, which is a way to locate a smartphone (any other bluetooth device could be linked to a location) and therefore a privacy issue.

I understand that for some users wanting to share pictures over bluetooth, or connect to wearables, this permission could be usefull, but for others this is just a way to force them to accept smartphone location by Samsung.

Please Samsung, correct this bug !

24 REPLIES 24
Ididntaskforthis
Apprentice
Options
Good point. Probably not. Why does your location need to be logged every time we take a picture? That data would be going to Samsungs third parties disguised as a feature for the user.
I think you can switch off Airdrop on Apple devices.
YourMom
Apprentice
Options

There is no option to reset the camera settings. Watchu talkin bout Willis? This is really p***ing me off! Samsung DOES NOT need access to nearby Bluetooth mics! I don't even have one. How dare they take away my permissions to use my camera, altogether!

YourMom
Apprentice
Options

Next time maybe you should read the question more carefully.  Nobody is talking about location permissions. 🙄

0 Likes
wizardofoz
Explorer
Options

Still nobody from Samsung willing to explain why the camera App won't work without the "Nearby device" permission ?

0 Likes
Ididntaskforthis
Apprentice
Options
This will explain why they want to use Bluetooth to talk to other Bluetooth devices. Location being one of the features Samsung do not try to explain. It's all very vague.
https://www.theverge.com/2014/6/6/5787424/android-nearby-feature-reportedly-lets-devices-automatical...
0 Likes
Ignas4
First Poster
Options
  • this sucks. Does Samsung actually spy? Why does it needs this perrmsion? I think im about to switch to apple for this action.
wizardofoz
Explorer
Options

Same disillusion for me : I though that Android would give me more freedom, but I realize that Google and the Android phone manufacturers (Samsung, but others are not better) just use any possible way to gather as much data about me as possible, against my will, with no way to opt out. And this is most probably against privacy regulations, like the GDPR in Europe.

0 Likes
wizardofoz
Explorer
Options

Still nobody from Samsung daring to answer user concerns from that thread ?

0 Likes
Freemanfornow
First Poster
Options

I don't know it you ever figured out the problem, but I just encountered it.....

However, the nearby devices permission IS INDEED used to determine location, even if you have yours off, via Bluetooth and users nearby... that's why it's also good to keep sensors turned off when you're around other people......

0 Likes
Electronic Spies999
First Poster
Options

I agree. Mine was working fine without it also. It wants to connect to my PCwhich is total bull. Just as the Agreement it made me sign to reply here. Says I can read agreement, then said it was unavailable on my Samsung S22.  Bigger spy then Google now.

0 Likes