Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second hand locked by Knox

(Topic created on: 25-06-2020 03:05 PM)
lemonicedtea
Journeyman
Options

I recently bought a second hand galaxy A3 (2017) from eBay. I tried resetting the phone. However, after I wiped out the data, the phone prompted me to enter Knox enrollment credentials of the previous owner. What should I do now? 

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
AndrewL
Options
@lemonicedtea: Knox Mobile Enrollment is a zero-touch deployment service that allows users to quickly enroll large number of Android devices to an MDM/ EMM for corporate use. Even if a KME-enrolled device is factory reset, the MDM/EMM software will be automatically reinstalled and the user will be re-enrolled. With this in mind, I recommend contacting the seller directly to discuss obtaining the necessary credentials, or to arrange a refund or replacement. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you.
lemonicedtea
Journeyman
Options
I've already contacted the seller. If they manage to send me the credentials, will I be able to remove KME from my device? I think a refund or a replacement will be very tedious as I am living in another continent right now.
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
@lemonicedtea: If you're able to confirm the credentials then you will be able to gain access to the device, however as this is an embedded security feature it may not be possible to remove to remove it completely. I understand that it isn't ideal, however it was the sellers responsibility to have this feature removed by their IT department prior to selling it.
lemonicedtea
Journeyman
Options
Can a Samsung store get it removed for me? I am fine with going to a Samsung store for the service if I can get rid of KME completely.
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
@lemonicedtea: You can try visiting a Support Centre near you, taking your proof of purchase with you, to see if an engineer can assist you further, however this may not be possible due to it being a security feature, and because the device was purchased on Ebay.
0 Likes
lemonicedtea
Journeyman
Options
Thank you for your answers. I've already contacted the seller, and I am sending it back.

Just out of curiosity, how can the seller remove KME if even Samsung store might not be able to do it?

Anyway, thanks again!
0 Likes