Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD card format crashes phone

(Topic created on: 01-04-2021 08:49 AM)
shredheadffc
Student
Options

I've got a 2 year old A10 phone. About 4 months ago I got a message that my SD card wasn't working so I changed it. After a month I've now got a similar message that I can't write to the SD card. I've tested it in another device (its ok), copied the data to my PC and tried to reformat as advertised elsewhere on this forum. When I try to reformat it crashes the phone. When I restart the phone there's still the 'Cant write to SD card' message and card isn't reformatted. Is this an attempt by Samsung to stop people using SD cards and force them to buy a new phone? How can I fix it please? Ta.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
Jammy97
Navigator
Options
Hi.

I guess you've tried system re boots?

I believe that Samsung do want you to buy a new phone. For example new modern phones you can't access the battery (not that I'm aware of?) Pack. So I'd say its a cleaver move from them :).

I'm sure there'll be experts who, maybe, be able to give help otherwise.

shredheadffc
Student
Options

Thanks Jammy97. I've not tried a system reboot. How do I do it and what data and apps will I lose?

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Reformat it using your PC.
shredheadffc
Student
Options

I have done a soft reset (turning off and on again) but not restored factory settings.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@shredheadffc: Do you have access to another compatible SD card that you can try to see if the issue persists? If not, please restart the phone in Safe Mode - Press and hold the Power button until the 'Power off' prompt appears on the screen then release > Touch and hold Power off until the 'Safe mode' prompt appears then release > To confirm, tap Safe mode > With Safe Mode enabled, ensure Airplane Mode is turned off. If the error message/issue isn't present in this mode then please restart your A10 and remove any recently installed applications. If the error persists then please reach out to our Help Desk via the link below, or on Facebook or Twitter, and an advisor will be able to look into this further for you and arrange any necessary repairs. 

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/contact/

shredheadffc
Student
Options

Before I read your message, I did a factory reset and had then to reinstall the apps I use. The SD card problem remained. I've now put the phone in Safe Mode and then restarted and the problem remains.

0 Likes
NJ19
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue just now but worst, I can't use my phone now as it is stuck in the black screen with the SAMSUNG name on its screen and it wont do anything no matter how long I press the power button. Please help me on this. Thanks

0 Likes