Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung update broke WiFi calling on my A50

(Topic created on: 11-12-2020 06:17 AM)
Blakee
Apprentice
Options

I have this issue on my Galaxy A50 since it forced me to update to Android 10. I get no service at my house.I live in the forest and It's 10 miles away for any carriers to have service. all the cellphone carriers have no service here. Been using WiFi calling on airplane mode with WiFi on obviously for years. Got this phone 9 months ago it was fine until the update to Android 10!!  When I try to make a call on WiFi with cellular still on it tries and hangs up 15 seconds later. When I do it on airplane mode with WiFi on it tells me to turn airplane mode off.  I've spent hours on hold with my cell provider and with Samsung. Wiped the phone completely, erased the cache partition and made sure my apn settings were all correct and still nothing. It's something in the stupid update they forced on me after dodging it for months. I run a business and need my phone to work on WiFi calling. I've been using WiFi calling for years without a problem. Person who lives with me has the same service provider and no problems on her iPhone with WiFi calling or texting. Put my SIM in her phone and it works fine. Last person I spoke to at Samsung told me I have to pay to have there service center do any repairs or diagnostics. SAMSUNG FIX THIS I CAN'T AFFORD A NEW PHONE RIGHT NOW!!! I PAID GOOD MONEY FOR A PHONE YOUR SOFTWARE BROKE!!!!!!!

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

That's not good at all @Blakee 

Has your network sent you an OTA configuration to try and get this working again and make sure in any relevant network app that Calling Over Wi-Fi is toggled On.

You can send bug reports via your Samsung Members App.

Unfortunately you can't go back to your last version of software via your phone's native settings.

You could consider a custom rom but that can cone with possible issues if not performed correctly @Blakee 

You can find out more on xdadevelopers.com 

Disclaimer 》
Using a Custom Rom can bring about an unstable phone or it may not work properly if the process glitches or the wrong Rom is used.
A person takes full responsibility if they perform this process and do so at their own informed decision. Samsung would levy a charge to put this right.

I wish you all the best with this. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Blakee
Apprentice
Options

Yep spent over an hour talking with my carrier and they helped as much as possible and confirmed that it is something wrong with the update. I called Samsung first person was useless asked for a supervisor. I WAITED ON HOLD FOR 3 HOURS JUST TO GET HUNG UP ON!  called back just to get the runaround and told my cellphone carrier makes the android 10 update. Finally a supervisor I spoke to agreed to have me send it in for a software re flash. So we will see what happens. No phone for 10 days. Can't believe Samsung broke my phone and I waited so long to update because my last galaxy became very glitchy and unstable after. Told my aunt about my horribly experience and she went and exchanged her new galaxy phone for an iPhone 12 pro. I've heard that those custom roms aren't really reliable 

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

This is how software works in the UK.

A Samsung phone supplied by a Network typically has their brand of firmware on it including their csc so that their networking features work as the network has usually tested it before allowing Samsung to push it out. This is known as a Branded phone.

A phone supplied directly by Samsung has their software over android with their csc code with no network interference known an an unbranded phone.

Some unbranded phones won't run some network features.

I don't see re flashing helping as this usually is just re applying what's already on your phone.

Either your network needs to send out an update to fix the bug or you need to revert to the previous firmware using a custom rom.

That said please do let us know how you get on.

🤞

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Blakee
Apprentice
Options

Yes mine is an unbranded (unlocked) from Samsung phone. Was using WiFi calling for almost a year on it just fine. Until it forced me to update to Android 10. Unfortunately I don't have a computer to install a custom ROM on. Plus aren't there security issues? When I try to use WiFi calling it says calling and hangs up 15 seconds later. Been through the whole phone with my carrier and nada. It's the update I never wanted to do

0 Likes