Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

samsung galaxy A51 pattern unlock no longer works with correct pattern

(Topic created on: 31-12-2022 06:49 PM)
puzzledddd
Journeyman
Options

Today the pattern unlock on my a51 randomly stopped accepting the correct pattern. I'm sure it's the correct pattern I've used the same one for a long time now. I have tried it numerous times to the point I have been locked out in increasing increments of time before I can try again - right now it's counting down from 30 minutes. If it matters, there are no overlapping dots in the pattern and I have tried doing it slow and steady to make sure it's being drawn correctly.

I tried several soft restarts/resets to no avail. Unfortunately I don't have find my phone or a samsung account linked to my phone to try anything involving that method. If I ever get back in I will definitely be setting something up and not using the pattern unlock anymore! (Edit: I do have my google account linked, but because google forced me to set up 2FA to get into my account I can't access that now either since it requires getting into my phone!)

I read that letting the phone die and then recharging it might fix it. Currently it's at 61% so I have to wait a while to see if this works.

I want to avoid doing a factory reset if at all possible because I have notes on this phone that are not backed up in the cloud or anywhere else.

I am wondering if this is at all related to the recent update as I had several issues with my phone since doing that update including the notes app crashing and refusing to open until they dropped a new update for that. I feel like the update wreaked havoc on my phone.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do given these circumstances? Or is factory reset going to be my only option..? Thanks for any help you can give.

13 REPLIES 13
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

It maybe possible that you have forgotten the pattern even though I appreciate your stating your sure it's the correct one.

Unfortunately as you state you haven't set up the various options that would allow you to reset your security protocols.

Security protocols are in place for a good reason and are not meant to be circumvented.

How-can-i-unlock-my-galaxy-device-if-i-forgot-the-security-pin-pattern-or-password. 

This link > https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/i-cant-unlock-my-device/ states If you are locked out of your device and  have not set up a remote unlock method, you will need to perform a factory reset. If you have backed up your device, you can restore your data and settings after resetting your device. 

If you take some proof of purchase a Samsung Service Centre  / Samsung Experience Store maybe able to help.

If I can be of any further help then please don't hesitate. Take care.  😎 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

puzzledddd
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for the response. I am 100% positive the pattern is correct as it worked fine earlier in the day. I know it sounds crazy, but this has got to be some glitch and likely related to the recent update I installed on my phone as I haven't had any issues until this update.

The thing is, I have tried and tried my pattern and been locked out of trying in increasingly larger increments - right now I have to wait 8 hours to try again. Isn't it true that if the pattern was truly incorrect it would have factory reset my phone automatically after 10 incorrect attempts? Why does it let me continue to try if it's actually wrong?

I realize there is likely no option but factory reset at this point, but it's infuriating because this is not me forgetting my pattern this is a samsung glitch.

Edit to add: I also spoke with samsung assistance and they told me my carrier Verizon doesn't even have the find my mobile option so it wouldn't have been something I could use anyway as I understand it. It seems there's no recourse for something like this if you're on Verizon even if I'd had the foresight to set it up prior to this mess.

password A51
First Poster
Options

pls can help me becouse first time this my situation now

0 Likes
puzzledddd
Journeyman
Options

Sorry this happened to you too! I ended up getting a new phone of a different brand. I had the final option of factory resetting the glitched a51, but I no longer trust samsung phones to work properly if a glitch of this magnitude can occur.

I still haven't been able to see if letting the battery drain & restarting would fix it - the battery drains really slowly when you aren't able to do anything on the phone! If you have the time to wait for that I'd suggest seeing if that will do anything to make it accept your password. I'm assuming you've tried soft resets already - those didn't work for me. Factory reset is more than likely the only option if you don't have find my mobile/remote unlock set up and the battery drain/restart doesn't help.

A samsung representative told me it's possible to take it to an authorized repair shop that supposedly has some tool to unlock phones, but it would require the phone's purchase receipt. Since my phone was 2 years old I wouldn't have a clue where the purchase receipt ended up. I'm disgusted with samsung and will never buy another one of their phones.

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

You're very welcome @puzzledddd 

The reset at 10 wrong attempts is a function I belive that needs to be turned On by the owner.

As to the Samsung Find my phone feature I'd be very surprised if this was a network dependant controlled option.

This option is integrated into the phone.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
puzzledddd
Journeyman
Options

Specifically told by samsung assistance that Verizon as a carrier does not offer that feature and when I went into the Verizon store to get a new non-samsung phone I asked by chance if they knew about that - they had not heard of that feature. I suppose both of those people could be wrong, but at this point it doesn't matter as I have switched to a google phone and won't be looking back.

alsama5
Apprentice
Options

Exactly the same thing happened to me too on the same model phone, totally agree with the frustrated comments. The situation is appalling.

Talking to Samsung, although the guy appeared very helpful, polite, and would have helped if he was allowed, his good intent was obviously overridden by Samsung Corporate policy. Samsung denied knowing of any issues with the latest update. That's either  very inept internal company systems, or smells of the 2018 fine for deliberately slowing older phones down.

If Samsung can get control of your locked phone when it suits them, do whatever they will with it, it is pitiful that they will not assist verified customers out when their phones fail after an obvious problematical system upgrade.

I agree, how can one possibly trust such a company. 

puzzledddd
Journeyman
Options

Thank you for replying! I'm not happy to hear this has happened to others, but it does make me feel less crazy because I knew I was not just suddenly forgetting the only pattern I'd ever used on my phone! 

I had also started to think that it was something in the latest update done on purpose to force users into getting newer or more expensive phones. I've since read this has occurred with past updates with different phone models, so this is something they seem to regularly do. The loss of all my information has been devastating. While it's my fault for not having it backed up, how was I supposed to know something like this could even happen in the first place? Absolutely disgusting - they will never have my trust again.

Doctina
Apprentice
Options
My A51 stopped working altogether after the recent software update.
Samsung couldn't give me a quote on costs of repair and of course, weren't going to admit it was the update that caused it.
Now had it confirmed the only issue is the software but, funnily enough, there's now an issue with the Samsung server.
Furious.
Serious trust issues now.
Trouble is my digiscope setup is for the A51 so if I change I need a new (costly) one.