Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung A70 bricked from updating Android 10/One UI

(Topic created on: 04-07-2020 03:07 PM)
GFung
Apprentice
Options

I just received my A70 device last week, and the first thing I do with a new handset is update the phone for the latest software and security patches. I believe the update was the Android 10/One UI that has now bricked my phone, and it is stuck in the "Downloading..." screen, and I cannot do anything about it. Trying to hard reset with all buttons pressed etc doesn't work.

So I contacted Samsung about this and over the live chat help didn't help at all so they told me to send the phone in to the engineers. After they received it, they call me quoting a cost of £165 to change the PCB saying that I tampered with the device and uploaded custom software which has voided the warranty (which I have no idea how to do anyways)

I have googled and even found in this forum that many A70 devices were affected by the update, and there was some relief I wasn't the only one. So I called them to explain whether they are aware of the issue this article states, and they said they are unaware or any problems with the A70 device and my only choice is to either pay to change to PCB or they return the phone in its bricked condition...

How to proceed? 

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

They can tell if a phone has had a Custom Rom applied as this can trip Knox in the phone @GFung and could show the wrong Rom.

I'm in nonway saying that you have. 

It's probably one of the first things they check.

If they believe a person has attempted this then they will help but at a cost. In the past they would have just denied support.

Where did you get the software and security patches from ?

i.e how did you update the phone ?

If your unwilling to pay for the rectification then ask for the phone back and go into one of your most local Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centres for advice but take into account they will have applied notes to the phones history.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
GFung
Apprentice
Options

Thank you for your response @BandOfBrothers

Oh ok I see. As this phone was purchased from Carphone Warehouse/Vodafone, any chance these companies would have applied a Custom Rom to it? 

I literally just connected to WiFi then went into Settings > Software Update > Download and Install and let it do its thing then I came back to see it stuck on the "Downloading..." mode.

BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

If Carphone Warehouse supplied the Samsung phone on a Vodafone contract then the phone's Carphone Warehouse supply are unlocked to all network's and have a XEU CsC code on them @GFung 

That means it's a phone supplied unlocked to all network's,  but not directly from Samsung.

My phone was supplied directly by Samsung so has a BTU CsC on it for example.

The firmware on that variant on the phone is Samsungs.

Phones supplied directly by Vodafone have their own flavour added to the firmware.

Have you considered going back to Carphone Warehouse as they apply the 24 month manufacturing warranty and not Samsung as per the Consumer-rights-act 2015. 

Carphone Warehouse Stores sometimes have their own Samsung Authorised Repair Centres in them.

Downloading the phoneinfo app from the Playstore would show what csc it has any other information on it too.

🌈 Stay Safe & Stay Alert.  🌈 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

GFung
Apprentice
Options

So what you're saying is that it is possible for Carphone Warehouse/Vodafone to have uploaded a custom rom to the device?

Anyhow in that case, I will ask for the device back and try with Carphone Warehouse/Vodafone.

Thank you very much!

0 Likes