Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New A13 Battery and CPU issues

(Topic created on: 28-08-2022 09:11 PM)
Kate36
Student
Options

Just bought an A13 yesterday, did a restore from my Pixel 3a which had had battery drain issues that ultimately killed the battery. 

Woke up today with the battery having gone from 75% to 25% with no use overnight, and a messages saying that the device needed to restart because some apps and processes were overloading the system. 

I went into the battery usage, and Messages was the culprit.  I know about the camera-staying-on issue, but wasn't that resolved in an update...? I disabled Messages but hate that I can't use the basic SMS app and have to get fancy.  Is there any way to use Messages again? 

Didn't expect to have these problems right out of the box....! This is reminding me of the Pixel's unexpected death! 

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
AndrewL
Options

@Kate36: I'm surprised to hear that the Messages app has drained your battery so significantly, as it isn't what is considered to be a power intensive app. As you have only recently set up your Galaxy A13, it will still be learning your usage patterns so it can optimise itself accordingly. With this in mind you may experience a shorter than expected battery life in the first week or so, but should notice an improvement after that. IN the meantime, please make sure to close your apps when not in use by tapping the Recents button in your Navigation Bar (3 vertical lines), and swiping up on the preview window of the relevant app(s), or hitting 'Close all'. I also recommend heading to Settings > Battery and device care > Optimise now, and restarting the phone every 24-48 hours to keep it running smoothly. 

0 Likes
Kate36
Student
Options

This is not a a normal usage thing, though-- Messages drained 40%+ of my battery *while I was asleep* (confirmed using the battery analyzer)-- this doesn't seem like the kind of thing that closing apps / optimizing is meant to solve.  This is a basic SMS app, like you said, and the default messaging app-- something else must be wrong here. 

I'm super disappointed because this is my first Samsung phone and I didn't expect to have serious battery / app / CPU issues on Day One.  My family was pressuring me to switch to iPhone, maybe I should have. 

0 Likes
Badger42
Helping Hand
Options
Are you using the Samsung or the Google message app. Have you tried the other if one is causing an issue, to see if the battery drain is still happening?
0 Likes