Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earbuds have severe audio distortion when display is off after One UI Core 4.1

(Topic created on: 30-10-2022 04:41 PM)
Denny_Harkins
First Poster
Options

I believe this issue has started happening since the UI update. Audio is fine when the display is on, but when I turn the screen off the audio through my earbuds (wired) becomes extremely choppy, slowed down, and crackling. Sometimes it will go away for a while, and I think it crops back up if I restart my phone? I've tried a lot to fix it. I tried using the Samsung members app to report it, but the feedback seemed to think it was a Bluetooth issue. I don't use Bluetooth, so that wasn't exactly helpful. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
TAH0
First Poster
Options

Have you had any success? I suspect I'm having the same problem with an A03s. Multiple factory resets, unrestricted apps, power saving off, I think I've tried everything but it keeps coming back. Same conditions, streaming audio (Spotify, TuneIn Radio, CBC Listen - haven't tried local files),  wired earbuds, screen off. It may take tens of minutes to build up after a factory reset but once it starts is immediately stopped when the screen comes on and almost immediately resumes when the screen goes off. Tried multiple wired earbuds, amplified speaker, and the laptop so it is independent of the device to which it is connected.

Here's an example I recorded: 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GgfQEg3MmEgjM0T-DWfbIEmkFqQOKIlx/view?usp=share_link

0 Likes
TAH0
First Poster
Options

I should add that I'm also detecting something similar on the phone speaker when the screen is off, especially at very low volume. It's like the gain is being gated up and down according to the audio intensity but doing so erratically and so quickly that it causes such frequent click distortion that it crackles and spits. And it sporadically happens at higher gain settings. This is at a time when the wired output is terribly intense as in the recording.

0 Likes
TAH0
First Poster
Options

Here's what fixed what I think was the same problem with a recently acquired SM-A037U although I described it as glitchy and crackling; over time it would build up to start causing playout to slow and would even affect loudspeaker output. The solution was to report it to Samsung Tech Support who authorised the phone's return to a service centre which replaced the GH81-21867A SVC JDM-SPEAKER_MODULE_SM-A037U_SVC;SM-A. Before seeing the Service Order Sheet, I was told over the phone that they had replaced the speaker and microphone. That hardly seems intuitive but they are integrated in a module that must contain electronics such as amplifiers, analog-digital converters and quite possibly digital buffers, data demultiplexer, audio encoders/decoders and maybe a clock that needs to synchronise with the main board. And maybe all that has a microprocessor at its core on some version of firmware. Possibly there was bad batch of these modules.

So, if you are experiencing this problem, skip the multiple factory resets and options twiddling that I went through and get on to Samsung. Hopefully, you still have warranty and, even if not, maybe some persistence will pay off. I can say that the service process under warranty was free, smooth, fast (I think they promised 5 business days) and I was fully informed at each step. I could have had FedEx pick it up but I chose to take it to a FedEx shipping point; the return was to my door.  

0 Likes