Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant prompts to sign in to wi-fi network

(Topic created on: 22-03-2021 11:48 AM)
GarethGlyn
Apprentice
Options

I live in a house with a wi-fi mesh system (BT Whole Home) with four disks sharing the same SSID. My previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy A70, and I was easily able to set it up so that it seamlessly reconnected to wi-fi as I passed around the house from the area controlled by one disk to another.

My new Galaxy A90, however, won't do this, whatever settings I use - it either pings and pops up to tell me that it has signed on to the network (which I can sort of live with), or prompts me to sign in (which I can certainly *not* live with!). I have deselected as many options as I can, but the behaviour persists - I have Wi-Fi and Auto Reconnect switched on, and also Turn on Wi-Fi automatically and Hotspot 2.0 ("Automatically Connect to Hotspot 2.0 Wi-fi networks"), but the following are off: Phone visibility, NFC and payment, Flight Mode, Advanced Calling and Messaging, Nearby device scanning.

I also switched off 'Switch to Mobile Data'. The reason for this is as follows: when I moved through the house - if this option was switched on - the instant another disk picks up the signal, the phone would switch to 4G, and almost immediately prompt me to sign in to the wi-fi network. I should point out two things here -

1. My A70 never displayed (and still doesn't) any of the above behaviours, moving seamlessly from one disk's area to another;
2. With 'Switch to Mobile Data', my A70 would just do exactly that where necessary (e.g. in rural areas away from home) and then get me back to Wi-fi as soon as I got in range. Absolutely problem-free (and notification-free, too). Could somebody tell me how to get my A90 to behave in the same way?

Incidentally, for the purposes of diagnosing the cause of the A90's behaviour, I had also switched off the wi-fi on the A70, just in case that had a bearing on the problem.

I'd very much value anybody's guidance in this matter.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
Is your new phone set to create a randomised MAC address. Try setting it to the phones default MAC.
You can find and change this, by going to settings>connections>wifi> then click on the settings icon on your network SSID>advanced then select from the drop down menu where it says mac address

Screenshot_20210322-115155_Settings_56970.jpg

GarethGlyn
Apprentice
Options

I'm going to try that immediately! Thanks!

0 Likes
GarethGlyn
Apprentice
Options

Hmm, I'm afraid I don't have that settings gearwheel opposite the network name on the A90, though there is one on my 'old' phone (the A70), and that certainly does lead to a dialog stating 'use device MAC'.  I have been able to find the MAC address on the A90, but it's not clickable. 

0 Likes
randerto
First Poster
Options

I've been having the same issue every since upgrading our S9+ phones to S22+ phones.  I just tried changing the MAC Address attribute and will report back. I've previously tried all other recommendations with no luck. 

0 Likes