Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP13 9370 not charging via the 95w usb-C output on my Samsung LC49J890DKUXEN Monitor

(Topic created on: 02-08-2020 10:48 PM)
scree74
First Poster
Options

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a Samsung LC49J890DKUXEN Monitor https://www.samsung.com/uk/monitors/monitor-c49j89-lc49j890dkuxen/ because this screen supports USB Type-C ports that transmit power. So 1 port is (15w) and 1 that transmits (95w) as well as data let you charge devices directly from the monitor. I( purchased it hoping I would just have a one cable connection desk top solution. Unfortunately my XPS 13 won't charge from the (945w) charger port and switches to battery mode. I know the Screen is good as it works with a 2019 Mac Book pro for both display and charging.

This has really killed the excitement of having a really great desktop solution 

I believe this could be a bios update to fix this issue after researching on Google and finding others with a similar issue when trying to charge via screens. I wanted to raise a support ticket to make Dell aware of this issue but my machine is out of warranty. I will be looking to upgrade my laptop in the coming months because of this issue an will no not considering a Dell machine as a replacement, I bough the Samsung because I though been a major brand it would have these kinds of issues.

Any advice would be appreciated and if this could be escalated to Dell Tech Support team to look in to again it would be very much appreciated...

stay safe guys and thanks for any help in advance.

Regards
Scott

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1
Members_TjFytnC
First Poster
Options

Hi scott!

As I see, Samsung does not really want to acknowledge your problem.

I have faced a similar problem with my Matebook 2020 13 (capable of 65W fast charging).
When I plugged it into the 95W port, nothing happened. When I plugged it into the 15W port, my laptop started charging, but still losed battery due to the screen and apps consuming more than 15W.

My solution was using the dongle they shipped with my notebook (simple usb-c to hdmi, vga and usb-c dongle, nothing fancy). When I plugged the monitor 95W port into that, and the dongle into my Matebook, it started charging without issue at 65W. I think its a safety mechanism, as it does not support 95W charging natively. 

I'm aware that your XPS may not come with a pre-sent dongle, but maybe you can buy a third party one and try it out.

Hope I could help,
Dimitrisz

0 Likes