Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my 970 Evo Plus 1TB slightly slower?

(Topic created on: 12-07-2020 02:12 PM)
Jozef1992
First Poster
Options

Hello everyone,

So I've recently purchased a 970 Evo Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD which i installed onto my ASUS STRIX X299-XE motherboarboard. The sequential read speed for this SSD is supposed to be 3500 MB/s and write speed 3300 MB/s. However my sequential benchmark speeds are on average by 230 MB/s lower, so approximately 3270 MB/s for read and 3090 MB/s for write. This is very strange to me because all other users with this SSD get 3500/3300 or even exceed those numbers in the standard sequential benchmarks, I've watched many reviews of this SSD and at least a dozen youtube videos, and everyone hits those advertised speeds. Is my SSD faulty? Or could it be that I have Windows installed on it? However, the Windows doesn't seem to steal any write/read during the benchmark process. When I benchmark my SSD i even close all the background processes and all tasks in the minibar. I also have the latest drivers and Samsung Magician installed. I know that getting 230 MB/s lower than the advertised speeds is not the end of the world, but it's still very irritating as literally EVERYONE hits the advertised speed, apart from me... what's going on here?

Any help or advice would be highly appreciated!

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
CarloL
Hotshot
Options

Hey @Jozef1992! The best point of contact to sort this out would be the Samsung External Memory team that you can contact by sending an email to: samsungmemory@hanaro.eu. 

DigitizedMe
First Poster
Options

Confirming about 250 MBPS slower benchmarked read speeds for a 970 Pro on Windows 10 1909 with latest Samsung driver. Benchmarked with Magician, ATTO, and CrystalDiskMark. Same results.

Please let me know if you found any solution or if it's a driver limitation.

0 Likes
masterwishx
First Poster
Options

Having same problem, did you solved it? 

0 Likes
DigitizedMe
First Poster
Options

Disable C States in BIOS. That gets me much closer in CrystalDiskMark but still not as advertised in magician.

I think the laptop is causing the drive to thermal throttle or it's a limitation of the SkyLake mobile chipset or pci-e.

0 Likes
masterwishx
First Poster
Options

I have it on pc X299 Asus tuf mark 1, OK I will check c-states

0 Likes
DigitizedMe
First Poster
Options

Please keep me posted. I'm interested in your results. My random IOPS is still kind of low compared to screenshots of benchmarks I see online. Nothing noticeable outside of synthetic benchmarks though.

I've done these benchmarks with all power management options off in latest Windows OS and in the BIOS. I'd also like to take the drive external and benchmark it without running the OS off it too.

0 Likes
masterwishx
First Poster
Options

I have no effect when turn off c-state in bios so I leaved in auto.

So I having next result

3300 read and 3050 write and 288000 and 190000 IOPS in magician and all other benchmarks. Even tried in winPe usb same results. I don't have option to check m2 in other comp but I think it's not good party of m.2 ssd maybe in controller. Maybe we need to check rma...   Check if you disabled inspectre to increase 4k read/write... 

0 Likes
skip741
First Poster
Options

I have the very same experience with my 970 evo plus 500gb...  3280/3050... I have disabled c states, turned off every background process that could affect speeds and iops..ran tests using high performance mode in power settings...iops are half of what samsung claims ..4k speeds are low...I even returned the 1st drive and had a replacement sent and it was the same...Im not able to get the 3500/3200 speeds that reviewers are saying they get and Im not sure why...Both drives were on the latest firmware update... I never had a chance to test one of these that was on the original firmware... That Could be the cause but I cant verify...alot of reviewers caliming high speeds were on the original firmware...it could also be a current batch of production thats sub par and many people may be stuck with these..

0 Likes