Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the problem with Samsung SSD 970 PRO?

(Topic created on: 23-04-2022 08:38 AM)
Dave Milter
Student
Options

I want check and update firmware in my "SSD 970 PRO".

But in the list of ISO with firmware there is no such device:

https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/#

there is "970 EVO", "970 EVO PLUS", but no "970 PRO".

Is it not supported any more?

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Probably not, there hasn't been any updates for my 970 EVO for a few years even though it is still listed. Try Magician if you are on Windows or lvfs if on Linux and see if they confirm whether the firmware needs updating or not
Dave Milter
Student
Options

lvfs is not supported my SSD: 

Updating lvfs

Successfully downloaded new metadata: 0 local devices supported

And I have no Windows so no luck with Magician, that's why I am hoping for ISO, but it doesn't exist.

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
If the drive is working okay I wouldn't worry too much, are you experiencing any stability or performance issues with it on Linux?
0 Likes
Dave Milter
Student
Options

are you experiencing any stability or performance issues with it on Linux?

Yes, smartd reports errors time to time:

Media and Data Integrity Errors:    0

Error Information Log Entries:      160

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
smartd is geared for HDD not nvme drives, what errors are they? Have you got a sample you can post? If you can, copy and paste to pastebin website and link to it in the reply
0 Likes
Dave Milter
Student
Options

"nvme error-log" show this, so as I interpreted this, kernel issue some command, that Samsung doesn't understand. I suppose that this type of SSD is popular enough, so if this was kernel problem it would be already reported and solved, so I suppose the problem on firmware side, plus I bought it several years ago.

error_count     : 160

sqid            : 0

cmdid           : 0xb015

status_field    : 0x2002(Invalid Field in Command: A reserved coded value or an unsupported value in a defined field)

phase_tag       : 0

parm_err_loc    : 0xffff

lba             : 0

nsid            : 0

vs              : 0

trtype          : The transport type is not indicated or the error is not transport related.

cs              : 0

trtype_spec_info: 0

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Those can be ignored, it's because smartd is querying standard smart commands the drive doesn't support. the smart specification is supposed to be industry standard but it is way outdated and does not cater for modern nvme drives with custom firmware, controllers and sensor arrays. Essentially there's nothing wrong with the drive as long as it shows no bad blocks or media errors.
Dave Milter
Student
Options

Why do you think that it is smartd fault? I executed "-t short" test and this not cause error count increase. 

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
I've already explained why but to clarify, smartd is sending the drive commands meant for legacy HDD that do not apply and cannot be interpreted by the drive controller chip. Therefore errors are being recorded which mean nothing