Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5 SSD connection problems

(Topic created on: 27-01-2022 07:27 PM)
Laust33
First Poster
Options

Hi all 😊

I just bought a Samsung T5 external SSD. I'm having trouble connecting to the Thunderbolt 3 port in my laptop using the USB-C 3.1 Gen2 cable that came with the drive. 

As I understand, USB-C 3.1 Gen2 is compatible with Thunderbolt 3. However, my laptop doesn't register the drive when connecting it through the Thunderbolt port. Funnily enough, though, my laptop does register the SSD if I turn of or put the PC in sleep mode, connect the SSD with the USB-C 3.1 Gen2 cable and turn on the laptop again. How can this be?

I really want to use the Thunderbolt 3 port because the two USB-A ports in my laptop - which I can use with the USB-A 3.1 Gen2 cable - are not Gen2 and thus doesn't support 10Gbps. Simply said: I want to use the Thunderbolt port for the faster connection (USB-A cable works; I just don't have a port that supports Gen2).

If I'm wrong and USB-C 3.1 Gen2 isn't compatible with Thunderbolt 3, is there any other ways of connecting USB-C 3.1 Gen2 to Thunderbolt 3 ports to get the 10Gbps that USB-C 3.1 Gen2 supports? Maybe a different cable?

I hope you guys can help!

Best regards

Jakob

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
The SSD won't read any faster than 540 megabytes per second which your USB ports should already be able to deliver. You'll never get 10Gbps out of the SSD
0 Likes
Rankinator
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem, the T5 should work with any ports, but the thunderbolt port only works if the computer is restarted. Seems to be a problem with many computers so it's probably on Samsung to fix this

0 Likes
JackoW
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue with my 1TB but it's my USB-C port. My 500GB T5 works fine. It's been two days of me trying to sort this issue and I am going mad. Is there any way to tag tech in this issue?

0 Likes
Members_hz3ouOB
First Poster
Options

tried posting in computers but got no replies

was getting about 350MB/s from SSD to touch T7 using USB a

and very erratic 700,300,20, 0 MB/s and disconnects

but since the firmware update getting 350 MB/s on USB a

and 700MB/s on USB-c constant

but was getting around 6000 MB/s disk test

but since firmware updated using USB-c my disk speed test  is 1000MB/s 

using black magic disk test and crystal mark