Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure erase T5 Portable SSD?

(Topic created on: 13-03-2022 05:43 PM)
Sternis
Apprentice
Options

I own a Samsung T5 portable SSD (external USB).

The Samsung Magician software does not show an option to securely erase the SSD.

How do I secure erase the drive?

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
Richmar83
Helping Hand
Options
If you're wanting full secure erasure - such multiple pass with random data (doubt youll be wanting D.o.D 7-pass!) then free apps such as CCleaner will work.
There's a tool - FTK Imager, which will erase disks fully too.

SSD are also not like conventional platter disks too so a single pass wipe will usually suffice (speaking from a digital Forensics expert)
0 Likes
Sternis
Apprentice
Options

Overwriting with random data does not remove all data. Data in the overprovisioning space may not be cleared. And even the TRIM process may cause blocks of data not to be cleared.

An secure erase will clear everything. But am I right to understand that Samsung does not provide a secure erase option for this drive?

Richmar83
Helping Hand
Options
A full format then pass x2 with randomised data will overwrite all data preventing recovery, more passes will add to that. TRIM processes on the drive makes no difference when using software that targets physical disk structures and sector level wiping.
I'm not sure if Samsung offer a secure wipe tool, but even if they did I wouldn't trust it.

[Views of a Digital Forensic Consultant with 15yrs experience]
0 Likes
Sternis
Apprentice
Options

This is true for mechanical drives, but not for SSDs.

But I am keen to hear your insights in how to bypass the controller and target "physical disk structures". A SSD does not have physical disk structures, but only chips. Nor does it have sectors. All logical disk structures you may encounter are created by the controller to pass as a regular drive.
Well but if you are really digital forensic expert I wouldn't have had to tell you this.

Pefa Menifisu
First Poster
Options

bro, he recommended ccleaner. what expert in _anything_ does that?

0 Likes